I don't understand roleplayers.

Role-Playing
Hello. Ive been at these forums for a while now and ive seen alot of roleplaying threads. I know that you play like one of you was a guard other one is Varians assistant, but can someone explain this abit deeper for me? Sounds interesting.

-Robert
Personally I don't like playing MMORPG in the "normal" ways,PvE,PvP,and any other activity bore me,usually I download a game,reach an high level and then I quit,unless I roleplay with someone.
I like it because you can feel the events in the game,like that time that i get bored and I started roleplaying alone with my pet,it started raining and so after searching a good refuge I started a campfire to dry me and my pet,while cooking something,waiting for the storm to pass.These are useless things,this one in particularly(don't expect the roleplayer do things like this),but help you get merged with your character,try to imagine what he\she can feels and feeling it,like you are them.
I enjoy only this way of playing the MMORPG but unluckly the RPs community is very small,I would like to be able to enjoy even the "normal" PvP and PvE,but i can't!!!!
Well, I do not know you are into lore (The story) of WOW, but I find RP to be a way to explore this immersive universe, in an exciting way. When I roleplay I feel like I am taking part in a book or movie. (Yes! Sometimes I really feel like that cow that always ends out getting butchered in movies :'( )
Try to take it like this: Find a movie you really, really like.
Secondly, try to imagine: If you was a character in this movie, who would you be, and what would YOU do?

Example: I love Lord of the Rings. If I actually lived in the world of Middle-Earth, I would have loved to be a person from Rohan. The thought of living as a squire or soldier of the Rohirrim excites me!

That's basically how my RP is every day.
The best way to think of it is by comparing it to a story, be it reading a book, watching a TV show, or whatever.

The only difference is, you control one of the characters in that story, which you can make do whatever you want, like your little slave. The term literally says it all "Playing" a "role".

Most people already do this when playing a character in a game: they immerse themselves into the story and pretend they are that character. With roleplay it is more about text, describing the actions and words much like text in a book, which is more detailed than the things the actual game itself can visually display.
I see it as (mostly) improvisational theatre, done online.

I do not understand what is so wierd with that, you do not go to the opera and call the actors no-lifer fat nerds.
If you can remember what it's like to be a kid playing with dolls in the playground with your buddies, you totally understand roleplaying. ^^

It's a hobby, and we're having fun little adventures and dramas with our virtual dolls with fictional personalities and it's totally tubular.
If you can remember what it's like to be a kid playing with dolls in the playground with your buddies, you totally understand roleplaying. ^^

I totally miss my Action Man :'(

It's a hobby, and we're having fun little adventures and dramas with our virtual dolls with fictional personalities and it's totally tubular.

This is really the best way to look at it, for me personally at least.
It's nice to describe it as being similar to theatre and so on, but sometimes it's just good to be really honest about the fact that it's an adult's version of that old playground tradition "Let's Pretend".
Maybe it's because the best RP I've had is always with people who enjoy it tremendously, and even find it creatively fun and at times helpful, but who also know it's still kind of daft underneath it all and so allow themselves to just have fun with it.

So to indulge in that whimsical describing, RP is kind of like collaborative story-telling built mostly on improv with other nerds on the internet. It can actually be helpful creatively, and plenty of my RP palbuddies have stated it has helped them in their understanding and enjoyment of characterisation, narrative, plot-building and so on. But let's be real here, that's more of a happy side-effect than an aim. RP really is at it's best when you're not trying to pretend it's bigger and more important than it actually is.
If you have any sort of creative hobby, RP will likely appeal. If you don't have a creative hobby it has appeal too because it's ultimately just a lot of silly indulgent fun.

So, y'know, come to our tea party and pretend to be a magical orc who can set things on fire with her brain. Hooray!