"There is already a thread on this topic" thread locks.

General
Very often I'm seeing Blue posters lock up threads saying the copy/paste line "There are existing threads on this topic. If you’d like to add anything further, please continue the discussion in one of those."

Now, this is a good initiative and I'm not saying it's a bad idea. But please, -please- link the existing threads or merge them into one discussion thread. If you leave people hanging (as the "existing threads" tend to actually get buried unless it's a hot topic on the first page for hours at a time) they'll have no idea where to post, feel put out and in some cases they will just make another, similar thread a few days later. If you make it clear which thread is suitable for discussing a topic, there will be less duplicate threads of the same topic.

k, thx and bai.
I approve !
I approve too!

It's kinda stupid warn about it and don't do nothing about it...
Could that not lead to more people being lazy? If it will result in fewer people bothering to look because if there's a thread about it already "the blues will link me to it", then that would make things worse.

I disagree. The onus should be on people to look - it only takes a minute or two.
Could that not lead to more people being lazy? If it will result in fewer people bothering to look because if there's a thread about it already "the blues will link me to it", then that would make things worse.

I disagree. The onus should be on people to look - it only takes a minute or two.

They are lazy anyway not to search in the first place.
Then they should be suspended instead of being spoonfed.

There are many traits which should be rewarded, laziness however is not one of them.
Im not surprised people don't bother to search for an existing thread considering most threads get de-railed after the first page or two (if lucky) anyway.
my fav priest speaks the truth <3 Saph
19/08/2013 14:25Posted by Saphiramoon
According to you - searches "vanilla topics" and he gets 5 pages of them.

Please don't quote one of my posts and then misrepresent my position. I have never said to use the search tool on the forum. 95% of the time there's a related thread on the first page or two, which isn't hard to find.

Class forums and role forums have no moderation. Really, none.

All reported posts will be investigated, regardless of their location.

I actually consider the wow forums moderation being quite poor.

Then the best thing to do is probably to send an e-mail to CMfeedback-EN@blizzard.com.

So to talk about laziness on posters part is hilarious given the organization level of the forums that are supposed to be maintained by paid people.

I've never been one to subscribe to the mentality of "if someone else gets it wrong, I won't even try".
Agree with Saphiramoon...good points.

So many times I replied to "vanilla realm" topics posting a link to the official thread. I think this is moderator's job to do, to post a link to the main thread and then lock. But they only lock those topics. When people start a new thread asking why it was locked, they lock it too. I don't think this is a job well done.

Search function...When I wanted to start a topic and used search it came up with a lot of results and I didn't knew in which topic to post. Also if all search results are old topics, this will be necro, if we start a new topic we'll be told to use search...
I do not start new topics. I am afraid I will do something wrong and it will be locked/deleted.

So I agree with OP and Saph, there needs to be not only "policing" but more guidance to the forum members. Posting a link to an existing topic before locking will definitely help.
19/08/2013 14:46Posted by Precíous
Doomsinger you do come across as very abrut and hostile

You're welcome to e-mail a complaint to CMfeedback-EN@blizzard.com. :)

19/08/2013 14:46Posted by Precíous
hate to call you but "fanboy" :(

I've never once defended the moderation on the forum, which I've often complained about myself. The only thing I've done in this thread is say that it's not the job of the moderators to search the forum for you.
And if you find an existing thread and post in it you get the forum police telling you not to bump old threads.
Worst part was i once used the search function ebcaus eof a thread locked liek that only match i found was 2 years ago lol. In which peopel posted in instead then ofc

And if you find an existing thread and post in it you get the forum police telling you not to bump old threads.
Please don't quote one of my posts and then misrepresent my position. I have never said to use the search tool on the forum. 95% of the time there's a related thread on the first page or two, which isn't hard to find.

You seemed to reply to a person stating that not using the search forum is laziness - and agreed that the correct way to deal with laziness is not to "spoonfeed" it but suspended. If I misunderstood your opinion, my apologies, and consider the whole of my post addressed to the general "savvy general forums poster".

In any case, Blizzard's general politic is to agree that very various people play wow - many of them very young. If you see a person that never or rarely posted before, you can judge the fact that he is simply not trained in forums mechanics and give him a gentle on the spot lesson. That is not "spoonfeeding", it is doing your job as a moderator on a forum - which is frankly more meaningful than replying to forum games topics - nothing wrong with doing that too btw.

And what exactly does it mean "they should be suspended"? Do you mean the topics? The posters?
Is it this?
I've never once defended the moderation on the forum, which I've often complained about myself. The only thing I've done in this thread is say that it's not the job of the moderators to search the forum for you.

Actually, if the moderators lock topics on that reason it is polite to direct the person to the correct place. It might not be "their job", but it takes 10 seconds and makes you look professional.

Also no. Not all locked topics have their originals on the first page. And the hilarious part is that if somebody does sometimes decide to look for an older topic and post something in it instead of creating a new one, its necro-ing.

Lets take another example: the new trailer for 5.4. Its a new and pretty important feature for wow, right? I got it from mmo. Then there were 3-4 topics open on discussion about it - every single one by players. Should it have been announced in a nice new sticky made by a blue? Possibly in a different text colour/font/dimension to make it easy to identify? I think it should have. Instead there's about 3 - and funny enough, I dont think any is locked.

And look at the actual stickies: do they really represent these forums? They are basically announcements and half of them are locked. I was actually looking the other day at that "website cleanup" topic that had 12 pages: 12 pages of people asking not to remove some feature and 0 blue answers aside from the initial announcement. Minimum required service? Yes.

All reported posts will be investigated, regardless of their location.

Which is to say that they count on players to discover such terrible things? Why keep realm forums if you cant keep them checked at least once a week?

No offense, but the mmo forums are far superior in that regard - and it is a fan site, not an official one. I dont even know if they pay their moderators, but they are definitely a lot more present than wow moderators are.

Then the best thing to do is probably to send an e-mail to CMfeedback-EN@blizzard.com.

Frankly, I dont believe they give a damn about that. I agree it is my choice, but there are useless things I wont waste my time with. I think the moderation is poor. It doesn't make me loose sleep. I can comment it on a lazy day at work. That's about as far as it goes.

I've never been one to subscribe to the mentality of "if someone else gets it wrong, I won't even try".

Neither do I. I do however raise an eyebrow sometimes at some sort of generic "back patting" attitude then seems to happen when several general forums dwellers band together and show a newcomer that hes a beggar and vagrant in their palace. You know , those kind of topics that seem to think they show inner strength and massive balls by posting all manners of "clever" ways of saying NO and waving some 2 years old blue post.

I'm not saying you do all this and my previous post wasn't especially directed towards you personally - sorry if it looked like that. It's simply my personal opinion and I just happened to develop on it following your post. Could have been the person above just as well.

Btw dont get pissed at MVPs, the fact that they have green letters makes em think they are all-knowing and wise, and some of em believe that they work for blizz or something familliar to it and they act with arrogance. Not all of em, but some of em =)

I dont have anything against the green posters, I consider them just regular posters with an expectancy of more balanced/knowledgeable posts. I know for a fact that Doomsinger is a gentle nice guy and he's not the only one in the MVP program. I also think they they have the right to not be judged by their post colour.
Then they should be suspended instead of being spoonfed.

There are many traits which should be rewarded, laziness however is not one of them.

Wow now you have gone to far, i dont want another suspension just for a mistake like "There is already a thread about this" And you want to suspend people for that?!