Do forum ideas ever get relayed to developers?

General
@ Holytimmy

LOL, what education or expert knowledge as a proffessional is needed to design quests which go.

A: "Kill 10 of x"
B: "Bring 10 of y".
C: "Speak to the NPC 5 yards away".

Absolutely no knowledge required to design quests. If these are the best quests that "proffessionals" can come up with they ought to hand the job to the playerbase because I'm 100% sure they'd come up with something a damn sight more interesting and entertaining.
Ghostcrawler is mean.

Well, to be fair the forums are full of topics awash with resentment, bile and aimless raging. Finding the gems with actually constructive posts in this litterbox full of petrified refuse must be a challenge. All we can do is not feeding the trolls and upvoting the good posts...

@ Holytimmy

LOL, what education or expert knowledge as a proffessional is needed to design quests which go.

Absolutely no knowledge required to design quests. If these are the best quests that "proffessionals" can come up with they ought to hand the job to the playerbase because I'm 100% sure they'd come up with something a damn sight more interesting and entertaining.

To be honest though, this is how most quests look in practically every computer RPG out there. There are better quests, lots of them actually, but the best quest chains are usually the ones with a lot of story to them more than any creative mechanics. I fondly remember the great vanilla quest chains like Missing Diplomat/Onyxia attunement, Pally Charger, dungeon set upgrades and so on.

Most individual quests deal with getting stuff, killing stuff, talking to someone or travelling somewhere - it's how they're connected that matters. I think they've done a good job in MoP, but I was very disappointed with the "revamp" of the old world in Cata. They removed a lot of fantastic questlines and replaced them with linear, gimmicky questing riddled with cheesy cinematics.
@ Holytimmy

Yeah, or not. I've been an avid mod user and fan of mods in TES since Morrowind and maybe 1% (made up number, it's most likely a lot less) of all mods ever released are worth the bandwidth it takes to get them. The rest are made by people that could not design a door knob.
do any developers read the EU forums? (all development roles/jobs are stationed in irvine, California, America)

They do indeed read the EU forums as well as well as the US forums:
https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/254617421032337408

We support World of Warcraft in quite a few languages world wide though, and naturally the developers have a harder time reading some of our forums due to language barriers. So for some forums they rely a lot on forum feedback sent to them by the Community Teams in the different regions.
08/10/2013 08:47Posted by Vaneras
do any developers read the EU forums? (all development roles/jobs are stationed in irvine, California, America)

They do indeed read the EU forums as well as well as the US forums:
https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/254617421032337408

We support World of Warcraft in quite a few languages world wide though, and naturally the developers have a harder time reading some of our forums due to language barriers. So for some forums they rely a lot on forum feedback sent to them by the Community Teams in the different regions.

Yeah, they are known to have serious trouble reading and understanding English, hence they only frequent the American forums. :P
Ye. Turn on the Arcade mode allready. Like R-Type of Sega... Whiisch, bam bam, bum. :)
I think in this case it's note-worthy to say that the Dungeon Journal was actually a suggestion that was made on the EU forum before it was first implemented. :)
yet they still haven't changed HotR for paladins so it ripples out from the player and not the mob, or extended the range on it to match up with other class AoE rotations...

i made a big post about it a while ago, gave some sound reasoning and it just kinda died.

one day, when a dev stumbles upon the same idea, i know whoever it is will steal all the glory and never thank me for it.
Developers dont give a flying fk about ur opinion, they have their own and they destroy the game that way.

I think the Sha of Negativity just possessed you. Here, let me put this mask on you...
I know that the Blues listen to us European posters. I cannot prove it to you, but they proved it to me when they took some of my suggestions and implemented them in the game.

I am also a dusty skeleton in Blizzard's database of job applicants, so I conclude that perceiving and constructively addressing weaknesses in WoW functionality/gameplay/mechanics/content is not the main thing that game designers do for a living.

That particular job being left to us is another argument in favour of the Blues reading here as their time permits.
@ lswindrunner
to do quest designing you need:
- Experience with game editing tools
- Able to work creatively in a demanding team environment with tight deadlines
- Able to adapt effectively to direction and criticism
- Strong story construction and creative writing skills
those are the four major ones i think.
hmm, yeah, i don't think just anyone has experience with game editing tools, personally i am sh!t at starcraft 2 map editor. nor can people meet deadlines, i am currently doing business studies diploma, and the majority of my class were still doing the first piece of coursework, set on the first day (Monday) for Friday, 4 weeks later!
some people (not all!) can not take criticism too well, and in a high demanding job in a leading professional business, new employees will be anxious to make a good impression.
And, in a demanding environment, where deadlines are tight, customers want new and high quality quests, and the fact you need thousands of new ones that haven't been done in any pre-expansion, is quite a task.

one of the pluses were 'Familiar with high-level scripting languages such as Lua or Python'. yeah i have never heard of them. only java (if that is one), and C and C++.

you can see the whole job description here.
http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/careers/posting.html?id=13000D3

and mucké, what job did you apply for, what country are you from, and did you meet the job description?

edit: and in those 'talk to npc 5 yards away' they must include a whole bunch of story, text, character and expression.
also Vaneras, if you comment a 3rd time (thank you for the 2nd btw), could you say what country you work in, as i'm thinking it's either at your home, versailles in france, or cork in Ireland. and is being a community representative a job/part-time, do you get paid (don't say how much), and do you work as anything else alongside being a community representative.

also, do you work with other community representatives?
what makes a good suggestion?
how many suggestions are sent and how often? (weekly, monthly?)

i don't meant to sound like a person who gets told "mind your own business", i'm just curious about how blizzard works and stuff. as being a wow player for several years (started at the beginning of WotLK) These questions are meant to find out what being a community representative is and involves.

other players are also welcome to answer

edit: also, what is the age of blizzards youngest employee. if you don't know can you tell me where i can find out.
Ye. Turn on the Arcade mode allready. Like R-Type of Sega... Whiisch, bam bam, bum. :)

R-Type is way too hard.
I really hope they do read,
Next expansion I would love a root and branch review of the Talent system.
Okay they might not like the old one but the new one has dumbed the game down so much.
Reality is they made things easier for new players to join wow but that never happened,
Its time for Blizzard to realise the importance of long term players and the need to stop thinking the game being "hard" is scaring people off joining.
07/10/2013 14:01Posted by Consecra
[quote]Ghostcrawler, and also other developers , read the forums quite a bit. Good threads are being brought to their attention all the time, and they do get taking into account.

taken* :3

a film where someones sister got nailed because she was sent to the wrong place right?
In that case I would suggest the developers that makes the spellanimations to tone it down 325 pegs, at the worst fights you can't even see the boss or where you're standing/facing.

I think I've read the opposite from Ghostcrawlers tweets though, that he does not value the information and feedback provided by forums and such, since it's unreliable and biased.

Yes, well let's face it, it often is, unfortunately.

If people could stick to being completely honest, unprejudiced and as objective and neutral as possible, it would increase the value of their feedback greatly.