Ghostcrawler Leaving

General
Prev 1 18 19 20 24 Next
29/11/2013 19:12Posted by Madcuzubad
Shame only one of those things was his responsibilty. Way to make yourself look like an ignorant fool.

Shame that except for fluffy lore and dull questing, the rest were his team's responsibility.
29/11/2013 19:21Posted by Anabelle
Shame only one of those things was his responsibilty. Way to make yourself look like an ignorant fool.

Shame that except for fluffy lore and dull questing, the rest were his team's responsibility.

Nope.
it's not that far fetched to say that GC actually did take the game almost at it's peak and under his team's guidance, it has almost halved since, and that is despite adding CN realms during his "reign".

Quite far fetched - Ghostcrawler started at Blizzard as lead systems designer in february 2008 (that's before the release of WotLK), so he can actually acclaim to have been one of the driving forces behind the success of WotLK.

I'll just repeat it for you:

Ghostcrawler has been one of the people behind the success in the rise of subscribers for WotLK, as he basically started at Blizzard when that expansion was in development.
GC did UI and features a small amount on class design he did alot on mog and because it was a team effort that is not going anywhere as others can do it everything is group decisions he did good things in CATA and MOP backseat for WOD i wish him luck & best in his new job
It would be so nice if people remembered that WoW China only updated to Wrath close around Cata Start over here, and to Cata around Firelands in the rest of the world (with similar cataclysmic results to the subscriber base).

Besides there being essentially Legacy Servers for quite some time, it does mean that 'Wrath had 12 millions subs' isn't exactly correct, it was a combination situation of Chinese TBC and Western Wrath.
Quite far fetched - Ghostcrawler started at Blizzard as lead systems designer in february 2008 (that's before the release of WotLK), so he can actually acclaim to have been one of the driving forces behind the success of WotLK.

I'll just repeat it for you:

Ghostcrawler has been one of the people behind the success in the rise of subscribers for WotLK, as he basically started at Blizzard when that expansion was in development.

Again, since you obviously can't read in longer sentences: WotLK started at 11.5 mil subs, peaked at 12 mil. While it definitely was the expansion in which GC had decisive impact with the most success, the "rise in subscribers" you describe isn't much of a rise at all. However, maintaining subs at that number is a success on it's own.

Furthermore, I don't care too much for the subscription drop argument anyway, since nobody can pin it's cause on GC without accounting for the aging game (which probably is the main reason for subs dropping anyway) and increasing of competition on the MMORPG market (SWTOR was one damn good game too, GW2 has it's own fanbase although I loathe it, AioN has amazingly well done graphics, and so on). The reason was that someone wrongly stated subs numbers. Anyway, no, GC is to blame for destroying the game's mechanics, dumbing down of classes, streamlining both by effectively supporting only one way of playing the end-game (raiding) which ended up with LFR as well as streamlining class design, talent design, removing customization... and so on.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Meh, okay. Ghostcrawler gotta do what he thinks is best for him. I will miss him for all the good things he has added to the Warcrfat Universe over the years. Hope he finds something just as great to do after this.
I can't wait for people to realise that this game won't change when they hire a new systems designer.
^

Like any public spokesman, he took all the flak.
just leaving this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDuyIqGhpE
29/11/2013 20:40Posted by Vaela
I can't wait for people to realise that this game won't change when they hire a new systems designer.
^

Like any public spokesman, he took all the flak.

I just wonder what did GC do? I mean... I'd be really sad if I left my work and nothing changed. Did he just go into the office and twiddle thumbs all day? Didn't speak any ideas, didn't approve any ideas.... didn't discuss anything at all? He, according to a lot of people it seems, had absolutely no sway in the office he was in charge for. Interesting...
The numbers of accounts does unfortunately not equal the quality of the game. It equals the succes of the company meassured in income. I think the toy industry is a shining example of this.

I think only very very few players in WoW today actually played TBC, wonder about that number. So many simply wont have the needed experience to compare past with present.

To all the players that wants it easy and wants to have everything everyone else has. Getting it easy results in boredom from never being challenged, the 2nd is a fallocy cause you lose your individual traits (here class based) and you actually really dont want that, you want a role and want to stand out - this means that there have to be certain differences amongst classes that you need to understand and embrace. We are brought up as individuals, in the west in particulary, and this ontology certainly persist in the games we as subjects play. Yea we really do like to stand out and get noticed for all the effort we put into things, its human, and the more we become exactly like everyone else, the harder it will be to recognize the effort being made as ours.
Yes there will still be the damage/healing meters, our positioning etc. etc. to make the comparance but ask yourselves how succesful WoW would have been if it was a 3 class game.
This is a far to complex subject to investigate further in this context thou. I just think its a shame that Blizzard brought this homogenisation ideology at the front and the idea of immense accessability to everything for all removing the challenge wherein the reward truely lies.
Anyway, no, GC is to blame for destroying the game's mechanics, dumbing down of classes, streamlining both by effectively supporting only one way of playing the end-game (raiding) which ended up with LFR as well as streamlining class design, talent design, removing customization... and so on.

Oh, now I see you - back in your cave, troll.
Oh, now I see you - back in your cave, troll.

Do you actually read your own posts? You actually have the nerve to call me a troll. Son, you're ridiculous.
But of cause Blizzard might have taken a path of responsability and tried to make their game less addictive, less time absorbing etc. in order to take care of the youth and other weak souls getting their hands wet in a MMO experience. In that case it actually becomes very hard to critisize their design. The hours people have put into this game. furthermore it has been proven that it is very addictive looking at the amount of serotonin being released when playing pc games. In life instant gratification is alot harder to come buy thou, so i guess things are relative.
28/11/2013 09:16Posted by Xshammy
does this mean mages wont be Fotm every patch anymore ?

You do know he plays a Priest right ?
Probably got hired for like Elder Scrolls Online or something...

I still curse metzen daily for lore.... Like how come the argents are still ignoring sylvanas!!!! I gave up on lore with cata sadly and sick of orc/human or aka orc/x race lore combo`s each expansion. Poor draeinei, worgen, gnomes, goblins, tauren, be'`s......

What would the argents do about Sylvanas? You don't know anything about their plans for her in the future... And they can't just randomly make an expansion or a patch about Sylvanas going crazy! Because she is not someone that can't be killed by like a shiv in the back or something like that.
:(
Wish you All the best in your future life Greg.

Systems design specifically is everything that is not level, story, quest or encounter design. My team handles everything from classes to mechanics to items to trade skills to achievements to UI design, and that includes the game balance.

– Ghostcrawler @ Blizzcon 2011.

So yes, it was his job to do class balance and design.
I'm just wanting to jump in here to give an enormous and heartfelt thanks to Ghostcrawler for everything that he has done for the community, the game and for Blizzard. He will be sorely missed and I wish him all the best in his new opportunity.

Also; blue-tagging this thread for visibility.

About time, no offence but the so "called" balance he did became worse each patch... maybe now we can see some balance in this game else il change accounts yet again and start fresh.

PS i know ure gonna flame me but considering me playing for lol's is probably better then most of you playing at 100% ... and yes this is NEW account my old one lets just say ppl at blizzard know how "good" or bad it was...
Bogdan over and out.
One more thing hugs and kisses all around! :XOXO
Guesse it wont change much :-( .
But its a very good start :-) !
Does this mean Kalgan will get lonley and also leave ??
Hope a great thing ;-) .Joking ....... OFC