"Been playing since vanilla..."

General
1 2 3 6 Next
How many do you believe when they say they have been playing since vanilla? To me it seems that everyone have played since vanilla, fair enough the number of players were high back then but most of the time it's cataclysm/mop babies saying they have played since vanilla, judging from their achievements. Sometimes I think people just say it to seem cool/veteran.
I play since 2005. And prefer chockolate over vanilla.

Achievements often are shown per character only.
Personally, I tend to avoid mentioning it unless it's actually relevant. (And here it's relevant to mention that I actually did start to play in late Vanilla, and if you don't believe me that's too bad.)

Thing is, being with the game for a long time means you probably have first hand experience with things that happened in the past. As such, when talking about things in the past, and how they might be better/worse than current things, it has some level of relevance when considering someones reliabilty for such a statement.
To me it seems that everyone have played since vanilla

Yeah, you have totally talked to a majority of the playerbase.
ffs lonk
I am one of Lonks druids. And got different achievements.
11/12/2013 18:14Posted by Zauru
To me it seems that everyone have played since vanilla

Yeah, you have totally talked to a majority of the playerbase.

Probably
I "technically" started playing during Vanilla. Late 2006, just before BC was released.

It's useful to mention when contrasting current features to how things used to be. It doesn't make you any better a player, that's for sure.
In the case of forum discussions, I generally give people who make such statements the benefit of the doubt, and attempt to construct my posts in such a manner that I respect the fact that they have been playing longer than I have (I only started with TBC's release) and offer an objective point of view on matters of interest.

It only really bothers me when someone tries to use "I have been playing since Vanilla" as a means to allow their argument to carry more weight than someone else's. I think often that both old and new players have equal weight in their arguments.

In the case of encountering players in-game though, I guess here it is just a way to feel like a veteran. That's totally okay, as long as it does not get shoved in everyone's faces.
I only started playing in 2011 and I don't really care how long others have been playing for. It baffles me a little why posters often feel the need to say how long they have been playing for whenever posting a complaint thread, like it some how makes your opinions more important than other players or something when in fact it doesn't at all.
I usually don't care if somebody have played since vanilla.
I played a little bit in vanilla on my cousins account, got a mage to 30 or something then got my own account in mid TBC. Gave up that account right before cata hit, and came back last december i think it was on this account since i have forgotten the email and password i used on my first acount.
I usually tell people i started in MoP because thats when i began to play more "seriously" instead of just walking around and killing stuff.
How many do you believe when they say they have been playing since vanilla? To me it seems that everyone have played since vanilla, fair enough the number of players were high back then but most of the time it's cataclysm/mop babies saying they have played since vanilla, judging from their achievements. Sometimes I think people just say it to seem cool/veteran.

Achievements only got introduced halfway or near the end of The Burning Crusade...
I can prove it with my Blood Guard title on my Rogue.
11/12/2013 18:26Posted by Mámamoo

Achievements only got introduced halfway or near the end of The Burning Crusade...

No !@#$? You can still see old pvp titles, and achievements earned in 15/10 2008.
Cant say it really matters, if they want to add it in to compare against something then i think thats fine. There's nothing really cool about adding it in, or playing back then, we got to see what the game was like originally, that's about it.

I find the people that automatically dismiss or attack peoples posts because they add that in, to be equally annoying.
Technically I did play since vanilla, but if anyone asked me, I would say I started in woltk, I played vanilla for like 10 levels or even less, then didn't play till woltk.

But generally I avoid it using it in arguments, it's usually irrelevant and I don't really care.
judging from their achievements. Sometimes I think people just say it to seem cool/veteran.

armoury policing fails at best, seeing as how people can have linked accounts, more than one account, set their interface to show that char only......

but tbh, the "i have played since......insert whatever xpac you like here" just reads to me like the person posting doesnt really have true conviction in what they are posting, and needs to somehow "boost" their post.

my opinion counts - i have played since you were all in nappies *nods*
Well, most people I know that started playing in vanilla still play from time to time, like at the start of new expansions or major patches (including me). This game is highly addictive, and hard to truly quit if you first get addicted. If people tell me they have played since vanilla, I generally believe it, if they're lying about it that's their problem. :p
Mostly you can tell by checking their Feats of Strength.
Failing that, by how they do/don't seem to actually know anything about how it was back then.

But the only time it's really relevant is during discussions about older xpacs or nostalgic rant threads.