Was the Scourge Invasion in WoTLK controversial?

General
I remember the event very well, was so fun playing as the Scourge and going around infecting people. But my memory has forgotten me on this bit, was that event quite controversial and we will never see an event like that again - I remember hearing something bad about it and there was a lot of backlash or something.
No the majority of people liked it but near the end people got a bit tired of it spreading to cities while they were trying to do their stuff.

But the event felt very novel and I think the majority of people had a lot of fun with it.
I remember the event very well, was so fun playing as the Scourge and going around infecting people. But my memory has forgotten me on this bit, was that event quite controversial and we will never see an event like that again - I remember hearing something bad about it and there was a lot of backlash or something.

nope, to my knowledge, most people loved it.
the only "bad" press blizzard had was over the infected pet fiasco, which maybe youre mixing this up with?
Ahhh I remember it now, it's because it was griefing at it's finest because everywhere was filled of Zombies attacking each-other which created the backlash and thats when Blizzard stated they wanted a game that was fun for the players, not where they were constantly griefed on.

Still was so fun though :') I was 5/6 years younger back then, hehe.
I think wow should have more BOOM events like that. Ones that take you by supprise and actually feel like the enemy in the war is fighting back. Attacks on Stormwind, shipwrecks and stuff. Put the war back into warcraft.
Ah, back when Blizzard was actually trying to do something fun for pre expansion events...
I hope they do something better for WoD because the lead in to MoP was just sad...if you can even call it an event.
I think wow should have more BOOM events like that. Ones that take you by supprise and actually feel like the enemy in the war is fighting back. Attacks on Stormwind, shipwrecks and stuff. Put the war back into warcraft.
It was great fun - but also a pain in the rear.

But it was memorable, very memorable which is why it's still talked about today.
It was awesome, loved turning little towns into zombie infested places with my zombie army :D .. literally most fun I had in WoW, like ever.

A lot of people did whine on the forums tho, clearly everyone trying to level since they got killed nonstop by zombies. :P
Lot's of people were annoyed since it affected the majority of shatt.

I'm pretty sure many players enjoyed it at first, but after the first few days it did get a little annoying, still got my scourge slaying gear and some shards, those were the days.
Personally I hated it. Even trying to stay out in the boonies there was no way to avoid infection with people purposely flying while infected to spread the plague everywhere.

It was another one of those couldn't do anything, brought everything to a standstill type things and being killed repeatedly by your own side, was not great. There was no opt out, not even PVE servers were safe.

I was a relatively new player at the time and it made levelling a nightmare.
I would pay for a special server that had zombie mode 24/7.
Good idea, bad implementation.

Basically the same as this whole timeless isle, own faction PvP issue.
The vast majority of people thought it was fun. Some on PvE servers did not like it so much though as they saw it as 'greifing', in my own opinion, these people should not be playing a fantasy MMO based around war, if they cannot handle fantasy events like the scourge attacking,
Especially as the event was a one off.

When people talk about it now they greatly exaggerate it, most of the infections were confined to major cities and low level quest hubs, only during the end when it was nigh impossible to not be infected was it found in almost every nook & cranny of Azeroth.

I think people forget, though, that whilst this was going on there were also those weird shard things falling from the sky, which you got, and they then have you epics? Little fuzzy on it. Anyway, these were dropping virtually 24/7 in high level zones and most guilds were out competing for them, I missed most of the apocalypse doing this part of the event with Guildies.

So how exactly these people were unable to escape the plague tells me that they were 1) Low level and new to the game, so I guess there anger at a 1 time event is somewhat excusable 2) Not level 70 yet, in which case they could have just levelled, one/two griefers couldn't shut down every quest hub for their level, assuming they were 30/40+

Or
3) Complaining for the sake of it.
Which to be honest most of these guys probably were.
Really needed to use the AH? Darnassus/Thunder bluff = Solved!

It was well received at the time. It seems people focus more in the plague and not the awesome guild vs guild wars that when on for those crystal things, I still have a few of the epics they rewarded in my bank :D

hmmmmm m8 look onto future

lich king has unslettled buisnies with kill jaden...maybe in furure lich king go throught portal to scourge upon burining legion worlds,to close portal behind them and to contain legion forever from azeroth.. maybe this will be last noble act of service for the courge.
12/12/2013 18:28Posted by Évil
I remember the event very well

12/12/2013 18:28Posted by Évil
But my memory has forgotten me on this bit

Hmm.. methinks you weren't playing WoW at the time and just stumbled across the event online?
I remember the event very well

But my memory has forgotten me on this bit

Hmm.. methinks you weren't playing WoW at the time and just stumbled across the event online?

I can't see any Vanilla achievements on Évils account
13/12/2013 04:47Posted by Dottie

I can't see any Vanilla achievements on Évils account

To be fair it was at the end of tbc/beginning of wrath.
Lot's of people were annoyed since it affected the majority of shatt.

This, mostly. All the high-level players hung out in Shattrath back then and Blizzard really dropped the ball when they didn't remove the Sanctuary effect from the player zombies. In any other zone you could fight the zombies (who for some reason often were upset when you participated in the event on the "wrong" side). Even one motivated griefer could run around and attempt to keep Shattrath totally shut down and there was nothing you could do to him. I filed a ticket about this abuse of game mechanics every day as it was clearly not intended.

Getting infected while zoning in from a portal or jumping off a flight path - with no chance to avoid it - wasn't exactly fun either. Or the lame troll that accepted a summons to a raid and arrived infected. At least he never raided on this realm again.
TBH the fact the OP even asks this means he knows full well the tishstorm the whole event brought up, and just wanted to have yet another pointless thread.

As Corripio correctly stated, and I agree 100%....

Good idea, bad implementation.

Basically the same as this whole timeless isle, own faction PvP issue.

Personally I gave up for the duration, Would have been a cracking idea if they had left NPC's alone.