It really is time to allow us to Transmog Legendaries

General
1 2 3 17 Next
Hello forumers.

Yes, it's this thread again. Create new thread or be accused of necroing? I'm going with the former option.

As I'm sure you're all aware, after Blizzard released Transmogrification they did not allow Legendaries to be Transmogged - other items into them, or the Legendaries themselves into other items.

Blizzard has relaxed the rules of Transmogrification several times since its release, yet still there is more that can be done to unlock the full potential of this wonderful feature - and that is allowing the Transmogging of Legendaries.

Why should this happen?

Well for, a number of reasons.

Firstly - why shouldn't it be allowed? Why should an item having an Orange colouring made it illegible for mogging?

Secondly - Legendaries have unique models in-game. To this day I still see people running around with both Warglaives equipped in SW rather than their regular weapons because that's the only way they can rock those awesome looking weapons. People want to be able to use these unique models without having to suffer horrendous DPS (especially for Melee classes/specs).

Thirdly - People who have gone through the trouble of obtaining a Legendary aren't allowed to Mog them to show them off. They spend week after week after week trying to get the RNG Gods to smile at them, and when they finally do get lucky - oh sorry, we have arbitrarily decided you can't Transmog these, so you can only rock them when you're standing around doing nothing.

Fourth -You cannot Transmog away from Legendaries. The current Legendary cape is quite abundant compared to previous Legendaries, and it is not uncommon at all to see lots of people with it. However, it ruins Transmog sets that people have spent time creating, searching for specific slots, running bosses time and time again for that 12.1% drop at the end of a long instance (Damn you, Black Morass...). Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the horrid clash because you cannot Transmog out of Legendaries either. Sure, you can hide the cloak - but that does not fix the animation that comes up on your back, and many people do not like having a hidden cloak. A band aid fix, and not a very good one at that, for a very simple and easily solvable issue.

Fifth - Why should obtained Legendaries sit in the bank gathering dust?

But if Legendaries become Transmoggable, everyone and their Grandma will be running around with them!!

This has to be one of the most commonly spouted fallacies regarding keeping the restrictions on Transmogging Legendaries.

Firstly - Well, who cares? Why does it matter if a lot of people decide to Mog them? The same thing happened with the Bloodfang recolouring, the same thing happened with the Paladin Judgement set, the same thing happens with the Cursed Vision of Sargeras, but you don't see those being restricted, do you?
Not to mention, that after everyone started running around with the same TMogs you started to see less and less of the Judgement set, the Bloodfang set. People stopped liking it when they saw that everyone else was running around with the exact same as them. I don't believe that Legendaries will be any different - once 'everyone' starts running around with them they will get bored and start to Mog into other items, and the usage of the Legendaries will decrease again.

Secondly - That's a horrible exaggeration, and it's simply wrong. The drop chance of these items isn't suddenly going to skyrocket. Masses of people aren't suddenly be going to get these items on their first run the moment the restrictions are lifted. They are still going to be a super rare drop. Whilst it may be true that you will be seeing these items more often, by no means does that mean you're going to be seeing dozens upon dozens of them.

Thirdly - how is that any different to the situation we have currently, with the Legendary capes? The vast majority of people have the capes nowadays, and you see them everywhere. If you're seriously trying to argue against this, you should open your eyes and realise what you don't want to happen has already happened : Lots of people are using the same model!!! /Gasp

Fourthly - Weapon types. You can't Transmog from Daggers to Polearms, for example. The argument that every Rogue ever is going to run around with Glaives is wrong because a large amount of Rogues use Daggers which wouldn't be able to be Mogged into Glaives anyway, even on the super rare chance that they actually got them as a drop.
(Pointed out by Purple.)

Transmogging was released into the game to allow for greater customisation and for player enjoyment - why, then, does it have so many restrictions? When the only purpose of a feature is for customisation, why is that customisation then restricted? That's rather counter-intuitive, especially since it's not a silly or over the top request to be asking for Legendaries to be Transmoggable.

Edit
" You should only be allowed to Transmog an item if you obtained it whilst the content was current. "

I disagree with this for a number of reasons.
Firstly - People who run the raid week after week whilst the content is not current are still putting time in. It might not be near the same amount of effort that people put in when the content was current, but they are still investing time for months on end.

Secondly - Think of all the Guildies who want to get a Legendary but weren't picked to be first, and thus lost out. Why should they never be allowed to Transmog a Legendary if they go back and get it? They still ran Firelands every single week so that their Guildy could get their Legendary. They still killed the Lich King so their friend could finish his Shadowmourne. They still went through almost every single trial that the Legendary owner had to, but they lose out just because they weren't picked first?
Hardly seems fair.

Thirdly - If someone is running the content week after week with the sole purpose of obtaining the Legendaries, then they are actively going out of their way to obtain the items. People running BT when it was current weren't running it for the Legendaries, they were running it because it was the end game raid at the time. The Legendaries were just the cherry on top of something they were already doing.As such, it adds a little bit to the effort that someone going back to old content is giving.

Second Edit

"If Legendaries were moggable they would lose their Prestige and Uniqueness"

Well, let me ask you a question - what is prestigious about having an item that sits in the bank gathering dust? What matters about the Legendary having a unique model if nobody is allowed to show it off? What is the point?

Third Edit

"Let us Transmog our cloak to something else. "

This seems to be almost universally agreed on - Whether Transmogging into Legendaries is allowed or disallowed, at the very least let us Transmog away from Legendaries. Even the Mogging Naysayers are agreeing with that. Please let us get away from these Cloaks which ruin our Transmog sets.

Thanks for reading, and I do hope we will eventually see these silly restrictions lifted.
Remember to click that +1 on this thread!
Let us transmog our legendaries into something else please.
Hmm, I really wouldn't mind using my Shadow's Edge as a transmog.
both the above pls :)

edit: No! You... human! Make that both the first posts**
I agree, i'd love to use the legendary bow for transmog, we would indeed see glaives and thunderfurys everywhere but in all honesty what harm would it do? There is no prestige in these items anymore, they're simply collected by people who either want the achievement or that like collecting things.

Its not like people are unique in having them, they're just rotting away in banks, which is a shame because some have really nice models.
I feel sorry for Illidan already... :p
Dual wielding Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker would make an awesome transmog

+1
I don't support transmogging something into a legendary. It just wouldn't be right in this game that defies a lot of logic anyway :P.

But I would sure as hell love to transmog the legendary cloak to something.. more common. I mean the red cape doesn't really work if I'm wearing blue armor in my healing set...
I want to mog my glaives into felsteel longblades, and my legendary bow into the Wolfslayer sniper rifle. Both of the mentioned legendaries are ugly as sin.
You should be to use your legendary for transmog only if you obtained it when it was current. So, say, people who got sulfuras back in vanilla should be able to use it for transmog, but only them.
I'd allow it if you got the legendary in it's current expansion.

For example if you got Warglaives in TBC you can now transmog them, but if you got them yesterday it's a big no-no.
i've said this before in some post somewhere, i honestly think that if u obtain a legendary from the most current end raid they should send you an item in the post called

"shell of (insert legendary item name)"

This is just a white item which can be transmogged, that would allow the people who actually obtain the legendaries while they are current to keep the skin for all time, i dont see why that would be a problem. Just remove the postal service after the new raid comes out.
I suppose they want to keep the "special" feeling a legendary item gives. Even though I don't usually transmog, I do think you should be able to change the way a legendary item looks but not use it's model on something else.
@Dottie

Why not? people go through painful grinds and spend half their gold and energy, not to mention it takes an entire raid group to get someone a legendary weapon.

Why shouldnt those people be able to reap the benefits of achieving something like that?

So that entire grind and everything for that legendary is basically just so u can be more powerful for a while until the next raid comes out and then its just supposed to sit in the bank collecting dust or to be sold for 50g? dont u think that kind of defeats the point of owning a legendary?
A part of me says yes, and then another part says no.

I can see them doing it eventually anyway..
Why not? people go through painful grinds and spend half their gold and energy, not to mention it takes an entire raid group to get someone a legendary weapon.

Why shouldn't those people be able to reap the benefits of achieving something like that?

They have the item and maybe an achievement, isn't that the benefit? The problem is it doesn't take an entire raid group to get most legendaries now. A single player can try to get them.

Blizzard want to keep them special, I believe I said that in my post, and I think that the OP is wrong, everyone would be running around with them as transmogs.
It's a shame that people go to all the trouble to get a transmog set only to find things like their cloak can't be changed. I'm fortunate that the cloak goes ok with my mog but that can't be said for everyone else.

Seems petty not to allow it's appearance to be changed.
They have the item and maybe an achievement, isn't that the benefit? The problem is it doesn't take an entire raid group to get most legendaries now. A single player can try to get them.

Blizzard want to keep them special, I believe I said that in my post, and I think that the OP is wrong, everyone would be running around with them as transmogs

So u basically just completely ignored what i said and then made a response? derp

I clearly stated that the people who gain the legendary WHILE ITS CURRENT should receive an item in the post giving them the option to keep the legendary skin in the future.

That being said i'm finished debating with someone who is so narrow minded that they cant even read the other persons response before making their own.
You should be to use your legendary for transmog only if you obtained it when it was current. So, say, people who got sulfuras back in vanilla should be able to use it for transmog, but only them.

I find it ironic how much the 'veterans' bash newer players (of which I am one) and yet the ones with the biggest sense of self-entitlement are the aforementioned vets. Special snowflake, much?

OP, I'm all for this. I don't actually have any (yet) myself, but I fully agree with the point made. /Signed

Yeah, sure. I can TRY and get Shadowmourne completed solo in Icecrown. It won't happen, though, because it's still a tough raid with multiple parts that require multiple people. Maybe some Paladins that are armed to the teeth with fully upgraded stuff from SoO Heroics MIGHT be able to, but not everyone is able to do that.

It's a game made of pixels in a fictional world played for FUN, for crying out loud. Some people really need to get over themselves...