So why outland?

General
I've leveled quite a few alts and I do a mix of questing and dungeon grinding to lvl.

Every alt I've leveled since CRZ was implemented on whatever realm has run into the same thing:

excessive ganking in blasted lands and hellfire peninsula.

Now I'm not worried about the ganking itself, if people find it fun it's w/e, and it's also not what this post is about so don't start a dialogue about it please.

What I'm curious about is why outland/blasted lands is gank central.... The world is pretty big and there are a lot of places where lowbies lvl, so why is it everyone seems to choose outland?

just curious.
Because the fastest way to get to Outlands is by taking a portal from Stormwind/Ogrimmar to Blasted Lands, and then travel through the portal.

(Unless ofcause you can get a mage to portal you to Shattrath)

And even if you get a portal, you'll still have to get the quests around the portal to start your journey in Outlands, which makes it a perfect spot for ganking newly dinged 58s :p

Also Death Knights starts at level 55, and as soon as they're done with their quest line, they're all set for Outlands, which increases the amount of players passing through that area at once.
Because everyone needs to level there and getting theres is easy as heck.
The reason why this is not happening in Northrend is that Tundra is annoying to get to as a Horde player, while Fjord is annoying to get to for the Alliance.
You can see how this is true in Hyjal again. Easy to access via portals in OG/SW, kinda everyone is there since Vashjir is such a huge PITA to level in.
It's the only place you change expansions that isn't in a city or very near one. Except for the zepps near Brill. That and the delay you get when using the portal so you are stood there long enough for people to gank you while the game loads.
As far as I remember, Hellfire Peninsula is one of the few zones in the game that has no other alternative zone to quest in.

Sure you could technically stay in Silithus until level 60 (or is it 61?) and then go to Zangarmarsh, but the experience gain in Hellfire is much greater than in Silithus.

My point is that when you level a character through questing, Hellfire Peninsula is the obvious choice when you reach level 58, for literally every race and class.

In Northrend you have two options (Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord), meaning in general, the population would be spread out more.
In the Cataclysm zones you have two options again (Mount Hyjal and Vashj'ir). Okay, Vashj'ir is not that popular, but to be honest I also see some regular ganking in Hyjal.

You could say Jade Forest is the only alternative for questing at 85 too; but Jade Forest is in Pandaria, and that continent doesn't have Cross-Realm-Zones.
Because everyone needs to level there and getting theres is easy as heck.

The reason why this is not happening in Northrend is that Tundra is annoying to get to as a Horde player, while Fjord is annoying to get to for the Alliance.

Err.... We (The Horde) have zeppelins that go to both places. Nothing annoying about that - You could/can literally pick either zone and skip the other one.
As far as I remember, Hellfire Peninsula is one of the few zones in the game that has no other alternative zone to quest in.

Sure you could technically stay in Silithus until level 60 and then go to Zangarmarsh, but the experience gain in Hellfire is much greater than in Silithus.

My point is that when you level a character through questing, Hellfire Peninsula is the obvious choice when you reach level 58, for literally every race and class.

Actually none of these things are true anymore.

You can go straight to zangermarsh at 58 if you want to; also the quest xp in silithus/ blasted lands is almost exactly the same as hellfire. So it actually makes more sense from that point if view to stay in Azeroth.