[Guide] Slash Command Encyclopedia

New/Returning Player Questions & Guides
Hello,

This guide was originally written by Hécate of The Maelstorm on the old forums.

Please note, I’m not a Blizzard employee nor anything related. MVP:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/916823456

Player related

/afk (or /away) - You get a "Away" tag (away from keyboard), if you add additional text behind /afk it will be sent to those whispering you.
/dnd (or /busy) - You get a "Busy" tag (do not disturb), same as in /afk if you add additional text.
/played - Shows your total played time on that character. Also shows how long you've been on the level you're on.
/ins - Inspects your curret player target.
/trade - Opens trade with your curret player target.
/logout - Logs you out to the character selection page.
/follow - Automaticly follows your target
/roll - Rolls a random number from 1 to 100. If you add minimum and maximum number it will roll between those.
/inv "name" - Invites the said player to a group.

Chat related

/s - Allows you to chat with those in your vicinity.
/y - A yell command, throws what you write to all in a large area.
/r - Replys to your latest whisper
/w "name" - Whispers the said player.
/p - Allows you to chat in party chat.
/g - Allows you to chat in guild chat.
/o - Allows you to chat in officer chat (must be assigned by Guild Master).
/e - Allows you to write a emote.
/ra - Allows you to chat in raid chat.
/bg - Allows you to chat in Battleground chat.
/rw - Allows you to use Raid Warning (needs raid leader, assistant or party leader rank).
/1 - This is generaly General Chat. It's a chat that allows you to chat with everyone in your curret zone.
/2 - This is generaly Trade Chat. This channel is used for everything related to trading, buy and sell. Only usable in a city.
/3 - This is generaly Local Defence. This channel is used for reporting enemy player sightings.
/4 - This is generaly Looking for Group channel. This channel is joined by queing up for a instance, raid, quest or similar in the LFG tab. Used for advetising yourself for a group or to find more members for your group.
/5 - Typically used to access the Guild Recruitment channel. This channel only appears in cities and only if you are not in a guild. Joining a guild automatically removes you from the channel and frees up a channel slot but you can rejoin it afterwards for recruiting new members.
/join "channel name" - Joins the said channel. Some require passwords. The number to use to chat in this channel depends on how many other channels you are in.
/leave "channel name or number" - Leaves the said channel.
/chatlist - Lists all channels you are a member of and their assigned numbers. Add the number of the channel on the end to see who is in the channel. Example: /chatlist 1 lists everyone in the general channel in your chat box.
/chatwho <channel> - Shows a list of people in the channel.
/ignore "name" - Ignores that player
/friend "name" - Adds that player to your friends list

Guild related

/gremove "name" - Kicks said player from the guild.
/gdisband - Disbands your guild (need to be guild master to use). Warning: This does not give you a confirmation box; typing + entering this means your guild will be gone forever.
/gquit - Command for leaving your guild. Warning: This does not give you a confirmation box. Leaving a guild might not get you invited in the future.
/ginvite "name" - Invites a player to join your guild.
/gleader "name" - Makes that player the new Guild Master (must be Guild Master to use)
/gmotd "message" - Changes the Guild Message of the Day.
/gpromote "name" - Promotes a player in your guild
/gdemote "name" - Demotes a player in your guild.
/ginfo - Gives basic information about your guild.

Combat Related

/a - Targets your curret targets target.
/tar "name" - targets the named target.
/combatlog - Toggles writing of the combat log
/focus - Focuses your curret target, often used in combination with macros
/cast (or /use) "skill/spell name" - uses/casts the said spell/skill
/readycheck - Does a ready check on your party/raid to see if they're ready.

PvP related

/pvp - Disables or enables PvP in friendly zones.
/duel - Challenges the targeted player to a duel.
/yield - Cancels a duel curretly in progress.
/teamquit [2v2, 3v3, 5v5] - Leave Arena Team.
/teamdisband [2v2, 3v3, 5v5] - Disband Arena Team.
/teaminvite [2v2, 3v3, 5v5] [player] - Invite [player] to your Arena Team.
/teamcaptain [2v2, 3v3, 5v5] [player] - Sets new team leader.
/forfeit - Cancels a duel.

Misc

/reload ui - Reloads your UI. Useful if it bugs.
/console pitchlimit 900 - removes limitation to mouse pitching

For more /commands, be sure to chech out http://www.wowpedia.org/List_of_slash_commands
If you wish to contact me regarding this, or any of my posts, feel free to mail me at lethan.eu@gmail.com.
Would also like to point out the /Gquit /g disband etc don't give a "Are you sure?" option, i did it by accedent once and they wouldent let me back in guild :(
Thanks Varésh, I'll add that :)
Here's a few you missed, there are probably even more though. These are just off the top of my head:

/script or /run followed by a block of LUA code to execute that code.
/clearfocus to, believe it or not, clear your focus
/camp logs you out.

You may also, just for completeness, like to say that all guild functions, such as /ginvite can also be written fully: /guildinvite.

Other than that, all I can say is great work!
I believe /reloadui also works, and /f is short for /follow. :D Also, I didn't see /use in your list, which can be used instead of /cast as well.
I believe /reloadui also works, and /f is short for /follow. :D Also, I didn't see /use in your list, which can be used instead of /cast as well.

/reloadui is addon related if not mistaken. don't recall what addon is but its some addon I stopped using since I can't use that anymore, and I did used that command alot back in the days

/reloadui is addon related if not mistaken. don't recall what addon is but its some addon I stopped using since I can't use that anymore, and I did used that command alot back in the days

/console reloadui - Reloads your UI. Useful if it bugs, or if you want to reload/update your on-screen addons.

this command is not addon related, is has just been changed to /reload ui (watch the space between the two parts). you can of course use the command from the second quote as well.

other than that, the function of /reload ui is to , what else, reload your user interface. this means that once you type this command, you will get a loading screen and after that you can resume play. the purpose of this command is to try to ''load out'' any possible errors made during the initial loading. should you encounter any problems during gameplay, you should always try to /reload ui first. if it doesn't help, you can start asking other players for possible solutions.
Thumbs up on reposting this thread, should get all to report for stick. Clearly a vital post for any newcomer in my opinion.
/forfeit also cancels a duel!
Why not transfer the commands from http://www.wowwiki.com/List_of_slash_commands, or put up a link to that page alongside what you listed?
Thanks for all the help, I'll edit it now :)

Edit: Updated!
is there any reason in particular why typing /gquit or /gdisband will not give a confirmation box? :( i'm a naturally curious creature and so so so so nearly was tempted to use /gdisband to see if a confirmation box would appear. Sooooo glad i decided not to in the end just in case something like no confirmation box would happen...thanks for this guide....very helpful ^^
is there any reason in particular why typing /gquit or /gdisband will not give a confirmation box? :( i'm a naturally curious creature and so so so so nearly was tempted to use /gdisband to see if a confirmation box would appear. Sooooo glad i decided not to in the end just in case something like no confirmation box would happen...thanks for this guide....very helpful ^^

I don't know why it doesn't trigger any confirmation box, honestly. It would probably be good to have one, in case somebody uses this command by accident. I don't know where to post suggestions after the removal of the suggestions forum, so I can't redirect you anywhere, sorry :)
I kinda want to know what the first post was reported for. O.o
15/12/2010 1:26 PMPosted by Garrath
I kinda want to know what the first post was reported for. O.o

Sticky request :)

Somebody used the report button to flag the thread as informative, for the CMs to see. If you want to request a thread to be sticked, use the report button and select 'Reason: Sticky Request'.
This thread has been added to the ‘Helpful Newcomer Reading’ sticky compilation: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1528623475
<3 Thanks a lot

got all printed and now sticked on the wall :P it makes everything much easier
9269147109:
Would also like to point out the /Gquit /g disband etc don't give a "Are you sure?" option, i did it by accedent once and they wouldent let me back in guild :(

How do you type /gquit by mistake ?? lol
/mountspecial is awesome too if you have a flying mount that can't do the special "spacebar" action.