Why did Kael'thas attack Silvermoon?

Story
Hi all, was wondering: Why did Kael'thas attack Silvermoon to reclaim M'uru?

As far as I know he was the one who send M'uru to Silvermoon in the first place. Was there some reason as to why he couldn't just ask/order his people to send the Naaru back?
He had already been revealed as having sided with Kil'jaeden.
Ahh so http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Damning_Evidence was before that, oke thank you!

Blood Elves attack Tempest Keep, find only M'uru to defend it.
Kael'thas sends over M'uru to his people
People figure out how to turn his power as a source of light
Kael'thas switches teams, or perhaps was already working for BL but now we all knew
Attacks Silvermoon since he wants M'uru back
Lady Liadrin joins A'dal

It's like this?
Ahh so http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Damning_Evidence was before that, oke thank you!

Kael'thas switches teams, or perhaps was already working for BL but now we all knew
Lady Liadrin joins A'dal

It's like this?

Yes. Additionally many Blood Elves had ventured into Outland and since Kael'Thas' forces were all over the continent it would not take long for one of them (or a member of the Horde) to go "Guys, Kael'thas isn't on our side any more!"
IIRC Blood Elves of Silvermoon still believed Kael was working for them in Hellfire Peninsula. Indeed there are a lot of pilgrims at Falcon Watch wanting to join him.

However the betrayal is revealed even before reaching Netherstorm; i believe it was already clear Kael'thas had betrayed us in Terokkar Forest, where his Blood Elves were trying to use the mana bomb against the Alliance AND Horde settlements there.

Addictionally, as a meta-reason to explain why Kael really attacked Silvermoon and betrayed the Blood Elves and why he allied with the Legion, we could just say that he did that because his story was butchered by Blizzard. Given his past lore and loyalty to his people and Silvermoon (and this is especially clear in WC3) , it is extremely unlikely he would have betrayed Illidan and the Elves of Silvermoon and that he would have directly worked for Kil'Jaeden. In my opinion Blizzard just needed an addiction villain alongside Illidan and so they butchered Kael during TBC.

Indeed, im not complaining about Lor'themar as he is a good Leader, but i think it would have been really awesome if Kael had never betrayed the Blood Elves, survived TBC helping his people in the defeat of Illidan and helping them in the restoration of the Sunwell and in the end returned to Silvermoon as racial Leader (and Prince) of the Blood Elves.
Oh !@#$ it's Nobbel.
Hi Nobbel!
Given his past lore and loyalty to his people and Silvermoon (and this is especially clear in WC3) , it is extremely unlikely he would have betrayed Illidan and the Elves of Silvermoon and that he would have directly worked for Kil'Jaeden.

Well the first part isn't really that surprising...
Illidan was just a blind, half-night-elf mongrel for Kael, and I believe that is what the Prince thougt from the beginning and only really cared for his people.
His descent into madness and worshipping a demon lord? That's really just crap.

Indeed, im not complaining about Lor'themar as he is a good Leader, but i think it would have been really awesome if Kael had never betrayed the Blood Elves, survived TBC helping his people in the defeat of Illidan and helping them in the restoration of the Sunwell and in the end returned to Silvermoon as racial Leader (and Prince) of the Blood Elves.

That would have been AWESOME!
I like Lor'themar, now that he has some lore and developement, and I love Rommath and Liadrin, but Kael'thas is just in a higher League.

Oh !@#$ it's Nobbel.
Hi Nobbel!

*breathing intensifies*
HI!
08/01/2014 18:33Posted by Varothen
Given his past lore and loyalty to his people and Silvermoon (and this is especially clear in WC3) , it is extremely unlikely he would have betrayed Illidan and the Elves of Silvermoon and that he would have directly worked for Kil'Jaeden.

Well the first part isn't really that surprising...
Illidan was just a blind, half-night-elf mongrel for Kael, and I believe that is what the Prince thougt from the beginning and only really cared for his people.
His descent into madness and worshipping a demon lord? That's really just crap.

That would have been AWESOME!
I like Lor'themar, now that he has some lore and developement, and I love Rommath and Liadrin, but Kael'thas is just in a higher League.

Oh !@#$ it's Nobbel.
Hi Nobbel!

*breathing intensifies*
HI!

Kael'thas was representing the male/feminine side of the Blood elves more than even Liadrin herself. In Arthas novel you can read how disappointed he gets over Jaina not hooking up with him. He who is so fabolous is stunned to rejected for a human. Well it's because girls wants men, not guys who cares about their looks half of the time and protecting his people the other half.
That's why Lor'themar is atleast a better leader for the Blood elves, for now. Rommath would be the best choice since he represents the arcane that has forged their society the past 7000 years.
lol hai
08/01/2014 21:06Posted by Panoss
Kael'thas

feminine side of the Blood elves more than even Liadrin herself

Feminine? Tell that to him:

http://worldofwarcraft.hu/files/wow/images/1273261635641.preview.jpg

Or him:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/301/b/6/kael_thas_sunstrider_by_dark_one_1-d6s4c1f.jpg

Or "him"...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/35a23450bf8c551f48ff8a9301513112/tumblr_mkmnd7vDAq1rogt7jo1_500.jpg

Oh wait... forget the last one :P

08/01/2014 21:06Posted by Panoss
how disappointed he gets over Jaina not hooking up with him.

Well, everyone can make a mistake in a love relationship at least once in his/her life.

Jaina made a mistake rejecting Kael for Arthas, and Kael made a mistake because he fell in love for a Human while he should have chosen an Elf woman in the first place (and indeed, he had a lot of doubts about this relationship between him and Jaina and in the end he gave it up, though Arthas was just behaving like a little child when he mocked him for that as a Death Knight)
The whole 'Kael'thas was in love with Jaina' angle is simply tied to the usual and questionable habit of the lore team deciding to pair a high elf with a human and then have them fawn over each other - or in the case of Kael'thas, end up being unrequited love.

It's a shame there aren't many - if any - prominent elven couples out there. Every single one of the Windrunner sisters has or had a human hanging off of their arm at one point in time. It's quite honestly ridiculous.
09/01/2014 00:02Posted by Solbranthius
It's a shame there aren't many - if any - prominent elven couples out there. Every single one of the Windrunner sisters has or had a human hanging off of their arm at one point in time. It's quite honestly ridiculous.

...Really? And which human hung off Sylvanas' arm? I honestly can't remember any.

And please don't say Arthas, because there was no romance (or even lust) there. Just hatred, spite and malice.
..Really? And which human hung off Sylvanas' arm? I honestly can't remember any.

Nathos the Blightcaller ? Could it be?
...Really? And which human hung off Sylvanas' arm? I honestly can't remember any.

It's implied that she and Nathanos Marris felt rather strongly about each other back when the pair where alive, considering he was appointed by her as the 'first and only' human ranger lord.

http://wowpedia.org/Nathanos_Blightcaller

Granted, it's not outright stated that a romance went on but it's very unusual and yet another case of a human being shoved into a special role and paired up with a high elf in a way that seems to grant the human involved numerous perks.
08/01/2014 17:26Posted by Elsya
However the betrayal is revealed even before reaching Netherstorm; i believe it was already clear Kael'thas had betrayed us in Terokkar Forest,

We also meet the Scryers in Terrokar, who are former allies of Kael'thas who became aware of the betrayal, and who abandoned him over it. We then work with or against them, and get to learn of it. Alternately, we get to work with or against the Aldor... and learn of it.
Lady Liadrin joins A'dal

It's like this?

More like:

- Kael'thas sends M'uru to his people
- Blood Knights happen
- Blood elves on Azeroth side with the Horde
- Blood elves on Azeroth journey to Outland
- Horde blood elves assist the Aldor and Scryers against Kael'thas who has now endangered a great many, including new allies, and has sided with the Burning Legion as seen with Manaforge Ara
- Horde / Alliance invade Tempest Keep and 'kill' Kael'thas
- Kael'thas is assisted by Priestess Delrissa and has a fel crystal shoved in his chest, firmly setting his affiliation with the Burning Legion
- Kael'thas - with the blood elves on Azeroth betraying him - flips the finger to his former people and takes M'uru back, whisking him to the Sunwell and plotting to destroy everything with his pet KJ.
The whole 'Kael'thas was in love with Jaina' angle is simply tied to the usual and questionable habit of the lore team deciding to pair a high elf with a human and then have them fawn over each other - or in the case of Kael'thas, end up being unrequited love.

Ridiculous? Most females isn't attracted to males who act as females, as many(not all) blood elves do, since they are very vain, care much about their looks and talks with light voices.
But hey that's how their race is made out to be, so of course females in their society likes their men too. I'm just saying it's not very strange if female blood/high elves fall for human males, they're just more rough and manly. Doesn't care about their looks half as much and many has the badboy attitude.

It's from real life measure and the ones created the story are real life humans, so everything is inspired somehow from a human mindset.

Ridiculous? Most females isn't attracted to males who act as females, as many(not all) blood elves do, since they are very vain, care much about their looks and talks with light voices.
But hey that's how their race is made out to be, so of course females in their society likes their men too. I'm just saying it's not very strange if female blood/high elves fall for human males, they're just more rough and manly. Doesn't care about their looks half as much and many has the badboy attitude.

It's from real life measure and the ones created the story are real life humans, so everything is inspired somehow from a human mindset.

That's either some of the best troll bait I've seen in a while or you need to stop being very ignorant.

That's either some of the best troll bait I've seen in a while or you need to stop being very ignorant.

How am I ignorant here?
I can admit I was joking a little with the badboy attitude at the end there, but jus to try and better make my point.
Have you seen most blood elven males? They're perfection on a plate for most ladies. Usually long-lived, athletic and handsome, with chiseled features and, not to mention magic hands.

What's not to love?