Lorewalker Cho's story time in Warlords of Dreanor.

Story
I absolutely loved Cho's stories in the Seat of Knowledge. I appreciate how hard it must be to get stories and lore across to players in game, and I thought these stories were a great way of doing it.

Now all the stories you collect and choose to listen to are related to Pandaria. I really hope Blizzard do something similar in WoD. After all, Pandaria was new for everyone, whereas with Dreanor and the old characters returning, players will have varying amounts of knowledge when it comes to the story. I didn't know much about Dreanor when I first went there in TBC, but now I've read books such as Rise of the Horde, I can't wait to get back to Dreanor.

It'd be great to have an equivalent story teller tell tales of Durotan, or Ogrim and his Doomhammer, and explain why these characters are so famous. It'd invest players a lot more if they knew why these guys are such classic characters.

Has this been raised anywhere before? Any hints that Blizzard are planning this for WoD? Really hope something like this can be implemented.
24/01/2014 18:52Posted by Greyfox
Has this been raised anywhere before? Any hints that Blizzard are planning this for WoD?

It was mentioned that Lorewalker Cho won't be part of WoD... that said, I also believe they mentioned that they were looking for similar ways to reveal more background lore to the players/adventurers.

So, we'll probably see Explorers/Historians (or one in particular) that might help us through the background lore of WoD.
Reliquary / explorers league get on that
24/01/2014 20:57Posted by Feranos

It was mentioned that Lorewalker Cho won't be part of WoD... that said, I also believe they mentioned that they were looking for similar ways to reveal more background lore to the players/adventurers.

So, we'll probably see Explorers/Historians (or one in particular) that might help us through the background lore of WoD.

That sounds promising. Perhaps Velen could be Lorewalker Cho's spiritual successor when it comes to telling the story. He's been around for a looong time, although as I type this I remember he's not neutral in the same way Cho is.
Maybe a member of a possible neutral faction could do this. A neutral Draenei or Mag'har Orc, perhaps? A friendly Genesaur or Saberon sage would be interesting. Maybe one of the "wingless outcasts" of Arakkoa to be found in the Spires of Arak. But Lorewalker Cho shall always be remembered as the character that introduced this method of storytelling to us.
And such a method of storytelling would be good to see the lore behind the new WoD races, like the Saberon, Genesaurs, Arakkoa and such.
26/01/2014 11:01Posted by Skrauhg
And such a method of storytelling would be good to see the lore behind the new WoD races, like the Saberon, Genesaurs, Arakkoa and such.

I'm gonna guess that WoD's archaeology will focus on the races of the Ogres and the Arakkoa at the very least, possibly one other race as well.

Maybe we'll get a "Draenor Fossils" archaeology tab as well, that could encapsulate the "less important" races (or at least, I assume them to be largely less important) such as the Saberon, Genasaurs, Gronn, and so on.

So, we'll likely get a nice chunk of lore from that as well. And Lorewalker Cho was nicely intertwined with the various Archaeological stuff you gathered (and the scrolls you read), which helped nicely in understanding Pandaria's history.
I've proclaimed my love for Lorewalker Cho and a wish for either him (wishing to know the history of the Orcs/Draenei) or an equivalent to be in Warlords of Draenor.
I agree 100% op. Not only he is my favourite character in this expansion, but he was also used as a tool for a very inovative, and in my opinion, very good way of presenting the story.

I think that he and the Lorewalker faction are the most successful experiment of this expansion - connecting small pieces into a full story, and both vocal and visual presentation of that story to you was done amazingly well. Also, they managed to give fresh air to archaeology (which looked like a failed project of Cataclysm). Concept of your personal collection of artifacts was really great, and I hope they expand on that.

Also this:
26/01/2014 12:18Posted by Aquablast
I've proclaimed my love for Lorewalker Cho and a wish for either him (wishing to know the history of the Orcs/Draenei) or an equivalent to be in Warlords of Draenor.
Part of the reason people like Cho was because he had very effective VO. It also helps he wasn't a condescending judgmental idiot like Taran Zhu! In the horde quest line where Cho lights the incense and he gets to know about the player race and his comments speaks volumes about his character. He has a very Mr Miyagi feel to him :)
Great to see lots of others enjoyed this feature, I hope Blizzard realise this is one MoP's successes that isn't specific to Padaria and could be brought over to WoD.

27/01/2014 06:59Posted by Moophasa
Part of the reason people like Cho was because he had very effective VO. It also helps he wasn't a condescending judgmental idiot like Taran Zhu! In the horde quest line where Cho lights the incense and he gets to know about the player race and his comments speaks volumes about his character. He has a very Mr Miyagi feel to him :)

Yeah his VO is great, and I forgot that his stories aren't just interesting, they all have a morale or lesson he adds in at the end of each tale. Hope they can replicate this somehow, since there's soooo much background story in Draenor.
24/01/2014 23:45Posted by Enlinae
Reliquary / explorers league get on that

It'd probably work better with a native of Draenor. The Reliquary and Explorer's League wouldn't know much of the original Draenor and would be just as clueless as the player character. I'd like for them to show up, mind you - but I'm sure there's more suitable ways they could be introduced. In the case of the Reliquary perhaps they'll show an interest in Draenor as it is intact and is effectively the promised land that the blood elves expected to find upon arriving in Outland.
and now im gonna state my hate for lorewalker cho.
stating to often the obvius and being part of the darn ugly panda males.
i hate how they "try to teach discipline" to classes where discipline is part of their background.
try to teach compassion from a society that all they did was passively do nothing agaisnt the situration they was in.
not cleaning up their own mess when they could.
I generally hate what the pandas stand for because they try to sound better knowing then you.
While they did nothing to stop multiple scenarios where the World could had gone under.

they are slobby and the only good thing was "for crying out loud" the lore explenation thing...
but lowerwalker screenjunkie cho was used to much,
i rememeber my raid yesterday me and some others discussed how we would wish we could cut him up to make him shut up.
I'm not a huge fan of the Pandaren but I felt that Lorewalker Cho was rather rational and likable. A lot more tolerable than Taran Zhu at any rate. I do agree that the angle of the Pandaren teaching the races of the Horde and Alliance was handled poorly, though. Especially in regards to the pragmatic and/or ancient races such as the draenei, blood elves and night elves.
Well they could had used a mix of chars in the instances.
when you raid every week you tend to grow tired of having the same explenation over and over.
and it don't help me that i hate the model of the male pandas with such much hate that they as standard make me think they ar lazy and useless.
31/01/2014 19:18Posted by Veliandis
but lowerwalker screenjunkie cho was used to much,
i rememeber my raid yesterday me and some others discussed how we would wish we could cut him up to make him shut up.

I didnt find his sections annoying to be honest. He only get about a 2-3 lines at most. Remember the Culling of Stratholme? Atleast the intros aren't as bloody long as that :p

31/01/2014 19:18Posted by Veliandis
i hate how they "try to teach discipline" to classes where discipline is part of their background.
try to teach compassion from a society that all they did was passively do nothing agaisnt the situration they was in.
not cleaning up their own mess when they could.
I generally hate what the pandas stand for because they try to sound better knowing then you.

That's the thing. I dont recall Lorewalker Cho ever doing that. Taran Zhu yes. Cho was very much less-judgmental and rarely had the "teaching cap" on