Free to play

New/Returning Player Questions & Guides
Hello

I'm completely new to WoW and I would like to know if it's worth playing as a f2p user. What are the features to f2p and can I find them somewhere?

Thanks in advance
(From Wowpedia:)

"When you sign up for a trial account, you may not do the following:

Create or join a guild.
Whisper someone who has not added you to their friends list.
Trade, either via the auction house, mailbox or player-to-player trading.
Use ingame chat channels other than say, whisper, party, etc.
Level Cap of 20, however you can continue to play at that level.
Send/Receive any mail other than from Game Masters.
Have more than 10 gold.
Level higher than 100 in professions.
While not documented on the site, this limit only applies to production and gathering professions at this time. A warning and a lock will display on secondary professions such as Fishing and Cooking, but they can still be leveled as high as physically possible, provided the player can continue to find appropriate resources.
Use voice chat.
Be eligible for the paid character transfer service.
Invite other players to a party.
Yell in game.
While this may seem odd, it's to keep people from using free accounts to harass paying players or to advertise websites
Use RealID features.
Participate in Pet Battles

Realms with login queues will also give priority to customers with retail accounts."
Its really not worth playing if you don't pay imo.
You level to 20 in a day and then have very little worth doing.
As a newb myself I wouldn't say that. I played the trial version for several weeks and had a lot of fun. I brought four different characters to level 20 and only then decided I liked the game enough to pay for it. I think it's worth it, particularly to find out if you like this kind of game. :-)
Free to play sounds like a very good idea
I leveled a Blood Elf Hunter to level 28, after that I haven't played the game since until 3 days ago when I deleted my blood Elf account and made a Night Elf Rouge. But I only played for like an hour and now I'm possibly going to quit playing again. I think Blizzard should consider making the game so people only have to pay for the game once, If they do that they'll still be making some money, they'd just have to make the people that are already subscribed have to pay the 40 dollars and then they could play forever without paying. Of course they would still have in-game purchases like exp. boosts and other stuff like that and the expansions would still cost real money... But I think this is the only right way to bring the game back to it's previous form. World of Warcraft needs to get back on their feet.

Sorry for misspellings and stuff like that, English is not my language.
30/05/2015 19:03Posted by Patronite
World of Warcraft needs to get back on their feet.

They don't need to get back on their feet, they never left them.
Yeah, 'free to play forever' is quite misleading. It's a free trial with massive limitations. And it's only a trial of the levelling portion of the game, not endgame.
It's time for Actiblizz to get rid of these rediculous limitations, and freekin buggy on top of that. Level 60 with no restrictions sounds like a better trial idea to hook players.
I think wow should be made buy once play forever like guild wars 2 then a lot of people might come back
when there are still like 10 million people playing world wide - happy on pay to play - why on earth would they make it free to play?
31/05/2015 08:53Posted by Pín
when there are still like 10 million people playing world wide - happy on pay to play - why on earth would they make it free to play?

I said buy to play not free to play
It is already buy to play if you want it to be, and some people are already settling into that lifestyle.

You need to get 4 or 5 characters to 100 - 8 or 9 would be better. You may need to buy a month or two to get your alts set up with level 3 garrisons and followers. After that, you can easily make 40K a month for the token just by relogging all the time and pressing the buttons in your garrison.
31/05/2015 22:38Posted by Gráinne
It is already buy to play if you want it to be, and some people are already settling into that lifestyle.

You need to get 4 or 5 characters to 100 - 8 or 9 would be better. You may need to buy a month or two to get your alts set up with level 3 garrisons and followers. After that, you can easily make 40K a month for the token just by relogging all the time and pressing the buttons in your garrison.

Im saying they might aswell remove ptp overall and because of that and more players might come back regardless
01/06/2015 02:55Posted by Craren

Im saying they might aswell remove ptp overall and because of that and more players might come back regardless

31/05/2015 21:22Posted by Craren
31/05/2015 08:53Posted by Pín

Your description of 'buy to play' is exactly the same as the generally accepted meaning of 'free to play' in wow.

The point stands, why would they make it free(buy) to play with so many people happy to subscribe?

Also, the influx of players you speak of if the game were to go free(buy)to play - Who does this benefit? what positive outcome does this have? In other words - why would it matter?
30/05/2015 19:29Posted by Dottie
30/05/2015 19:03Posted by Patronite
World of Warcraft needs to get back on their feet.

They don't need to get back on their feet, they never left them.

Considering they probably have hooves, kinda to be expected.

On a serious note, the amount of US/EU subs is currently rather low

http://inanage.com/2015/06/01/non-asian-wow-accounts/

making Final Fantasy XIV and its 2 million-and-growing full subs pretty close in size, with an Expansion coming soon as well.

Not actually Buy to Play, as you have to engage in extra activities to get that sub going, and, more importantly, that Token is 25% more than a sub - meaning every Token is actually 1.25 sub you're submitting to Blizzard's coffers.

Meaning that going the Token route is also even more subsidizing the bad gameplay that makes people stop subbing directly in the first place.

Which diabolically clever scheme brings us back to aforementioned hooves ; )

However, what IS B2P is getting a box and setting it up to create 'level 20 Veteran Twinks', though given how e.g. Horde side is premade after premade (often with Level 29's complaining the Devs killed Twinking, WoD is boring etc etc. - so they subsidize those decisions) its up for grabs wether that's actually an enyoyable thing to do.
If it becomes F2P or B2P like GW2 the communtiy will become worse, enough people sub and want to sub. I've never regret a single subscription I payed for this game.

P2P - WoW, good community. Bad guys get reported and punished
F2P - LoL, toxic as hell
B2P - CS:GO, less toxic than LoL but still some annoying snobs

This is just my opinion with examples of games I play/played.
05/06/2015 14:44Posted by Anvarra
Token is 25% more than a sub - meaning every Token is actually 1.25 sub you're submitting to Blizzard's coffers.

Even worser: Token is 20 Euros. Game Time from the online shop, without sub discount, is 13.99 Euros.

Token is 42% more than a sub.
02/06/2015 10:30Posted by Jenbu
01/06/2015 02:55Posted by Craren

31/05/2015 21:22Posted by Craren

Your description of 'buy to play' is exactly the same as the generally accepted meaning of 'free to play' in wow.

The point stands, why would they make it free(buy) to play with so many people happy to subscribe?

Also, the influx of players you speak of if the game were to go free(buy)to play - Who does this benefit? what positive outcome does this have? In other words - why would it matter?

Still not buy to play.I ran out of gametime today and I cant login to any characters over 20 and buying to play isn't free you're still paying money for the base game and expansions if it was free to play it means you don't have to pay for anything and its simple as that and from what I see over on the general forums a lot of people are saying they stopped there subs doesn't look like a lot of people are happy to pay any longer to me just sayin.....