Diminishing returns on Dodge / Parry for Warriors

Warrior
Hey!

Just been trying to find out how much dodge and parry to reforge and gem until either is more beneficial than the other and when mastery becomes better.

I was googling a bit but there wasnt really anything that could answer my question or maybe i just didnt find it ^^

Info: Patch 5.4 atm (for all googlers :<)
Hi.

You can play with https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al_-AQ-PDVSQdFMtRGtuYko2YXRZbWxIYmljYk52akE#gid=0 if you want to balance your parry/dodge perfectly to have the higher total avoidance. (The ideal ratio for dodge rating and parry rating is close to 1:1, but the spreadsheet can help if you really want to maximize.)

But it isn't really worth it, most warprot choose to go parry>dodge because the small dps gain from the Hold the Line glyph compensate the small avoidance loss (for 570ilvl gear, the avoidance loss is around 0.1%.)
From noxxic.com protection guide:

Parry
Allows you to avoid an incoming physical attack. Parry has very low diminishing returns which means you can stack a lot of Parry and it will still be an effective stat. As a rule, you want 2.5x as much Parry as Dodge. Parry also increases your Critical Strike rating thanks to more frequent use of Riposte.

Dodge
Allows you to avoid an incoming physical attack. Dodge has a higher rate of diminishing returns than Parry and should not be stacked as high. Dodge also increases your Critical Strike rating thanks to more frequent use of Riposte.

it clearly states "As a rule, you want 2.5x as much Parry as Dodge"
11/02/2014 07:58Posted by Lamma
it clearly states "As a rule, you want 2.5x as much Parry as Dodge"

So it's clearly wrong.
The DR on Parry is influenced by both your Strength rating and your parry rating, if you're not even considering strength, you're not doing it properly.
You can make approximations, but even there it's more accurate to compare rating than percentages.
11/02/2014 08:58Posted by Grothendieck
So it's clearly wrong

Now I'm confused... From your armory i can understand that you follow the same rule as you have almost 2.5 times more parry than dodge. could you explain to me please because i recently started tanking and I'm not well into it.
Actually I follow what I've wrote above:

10/02/2014 22:16Posted by Grothendieck
But it isn't really worth it, most warprot choose to go parry>dodge because the small dps gain from the Hold the Line glyph compensate the small avoidance loss (for 570ilvl gear, the avoidance loss is around 0.1%.)

So, I'm not trying to balance parry and dodge at all and I don't care if I lose ~0.1% avoidance since I gain dps to compensate.

Now, for someone who wants to really maximize his avoidance, the good way is to use the spreadsheet to try to reach the higher avoidance possible.
If you're too lazy to use a spreadsheet, the thumb rule "make the parry rating and dodge rating equals" is rather good because, even if it doesn't take into account Strength, parry/dodge ratings and Strength ratings both depend in the same way on your gear and ilvl.
The method based on percentage is flawed because it doesn't take Strength into account at all, so for a given Strength rating the rule should be correct (I guess the computation has been done for ~560ilvl), but if you have a lower ilvl or a higher, the rule will give you wrong results.

So, yeah, try to balance ratings (not percentages) and/or use the spreadsheet if you want all the avoidance you can get.
Or just go for the easy optimization by chosing parry>dodge.
Thanks for the answers guys! Helped very much :) Will pretty much try and equalize the ratings then