Make more slots for macros

General
Please for the love of god just make it. It feels like a handicap :( Just make it in WoD.
Hey Akronik,

We will first take a look at how we can reduce the amount of macros that seem mandatory.
One of the ways we can accomplish this is by improving how certain abilities work.
For example, one of the most common macros that players tend to use is the simple /stopcasting command added to a normal interrupt ability, like Counterspell.
What we can do here is to make sure that Counterspell starts to behave like this by default.
After we’re done with all the trimming and pruning, we expect that macros will become a bit more efficient and hopefully we’ll be able to reduce some of the clutter/redundancy that currently exists.
Great news!

18/02/2014 10:49Posted by Taepsilum
For example, one of the most common macros that players tend to use is the simple /stopcasting command added to a normal interrupt ability, like Counterspell.

i can't speak for every melee, but /startattack is the most common for me. I have it macred with every CP builder (FoK, SS, RS, Mutilate, Dispatch, Backstab, Hemo) - that's 7 slots right there
18/02/2014 10:49Posted by Taepsilum

Got another one for you there. /cancelaura for stuff like Ice Block, Invisibility, Divine Shield etc. could be worked in as a 2nd activation command for such spells, much like Alter Time already works. Should be doable. But I guess many many more macros simply come from stuff like "I want a certain use effect or CD triggered with that and that and that attack".

Now, if you think about it, why not have a system where you can basically combine a number of spells into a single new one, like forging your own spells. Sure extra work but I believe it would be a bit cooler and certainly more immersive than coding or copy-pasting macros.
Most of my macro's are mouseover macros for healing and certain spells like moonfire and sunfire. It'd be nice if mouseover was an interface option or alt click the spell in the spell book or something to change how a spell works.
I cast all my spells with my mouse (the razer with 6 buttons on the side), so I use lots of macros to combine abilities to make that work. Personally I would love more toggle on/off type things - for example, why doesn't Immolation Aura / Hellfire toggle?

More macros slots would be awesome though. My druid has a ridiculous number because I love all four specs, and consequently have macro combos for each spec saved in case I change spec again.
Wouldn't it be an idea to add more macro space meanwhile? I'm sure that a lot of PvPers would like to see this - atleast I definitely would.
All my macros are either burst or mouseover macros (and the burst macros, there are not a lot)
Also 1 macro for pet secondary abilities, since Command Demon only does 1 (Seduction, Devour Magic, Flee, Sacrifice (when it was still an ability)). But it's becoming a problem for my priest and paladin who got mouseover macros for almost all their instant spells (had to leave some out due to lack of macro space)
If we're at macros, I'd be extremely grateful if you'd somehow order the icons to "spells"->" warlock"/ "hunter"/ "priest" ... --- / "items"/ -> "swords"/ "axes"/ "staves"/ ... etc slections so when I search for same looking icon for my spell I don't spent so much time looking for it.

They're all stored in one place, and it's very uncomfortable to search through.
I agree with more macros.

Or to reduce it, make every attacking damage best spell to auto-target the enemy
so i don't have to make

/startattack
/cast Smite or Holy Fire

....for every single spell.

Yes there's a lot of damage dealing abilities with auto-attack.
But No there's not enough of them.
In my opinion all damage dealing abilities should have auto-target.

Because macros should be more used to combine some Burst abilities, Big Damage/Healing/Defense cooldown ones along with some potions together.
And /target Focus - cast this...ones.

So yes i came to the point where i'm macro-capped also.

So if we have quite a lot of different classes / specs...we need a lot more different macros.
18/02/2014 13:50Posted by Zakkaru
If we're at macros, I'd be extremely grateful if you'd somehow order the icons to "spells"->" warlock"/ "hunter"/ "priest" ... --- / "items"/ -> "swords"/ "axes"/ "staves"/ ... etc slections so when I search for same looking icon for my spell I don't spent so much time looking for it.

They're all stored in one place, and it's very uncomfortable to search through.

#showtooltip
18/02/2014 10:58Posted by Ellgar
i can't speak for every melee, but /startattack is the most common for me.
Definitely a very common one. We'll try to look into all these sort of situations where there is potential for improvement.

I'd just like to state that we will be very cautious about any changes that we decide to apply, changing the default behaviour of any ability is not to be taken lightly.
Players will get used to certain mechanics after almost 10 years. There are some foundations, some core mechanics that we all take for granted in WoW, and we need to be extremely careful about those, we don't want to make anyone feel like they suddenly don't master their class anymore, or create a very long period of adaptation. For any changes to happen, they need to feel just right, and what feels right is usually absorbed by players pretty fast.
So, in those cases where we can see that nearly everyone is using a macro to change the default behaviour of an ability, well, that's a great indicator of what probably feels right.

18/02/2014 11:03Posted by Hakarin
/cancelaura for stuff like Ice Block
That's a tricky one in my opinion, there's probably a lot of players that like the safety of being able to spam Ice Block or DS.
It's a great macro and it's very useful for those who don't spam their abilities, but it can cause players to remove their protections earlier than intended.
Having /cancelaura as a macro allows players the freedom to choose their favourite default behaviour, adding it to the ability by default would remove that choice. (/stopattack exists, /dontcancelaura doesn't)

18/02/2014 11:16Posted by Thornaxx
Wouldn't it be an idea to add more macro space meanwhile? I'm sure that a lot of PvPers would like to see this - atleast I definitely would.
Yes, I mean, it wouldn't be harmful to increase it ofc, but unfortunately we're not looking into adding more macro slots at this moment, primarily due to technical restrictions.
I use 3 addons for macros that might be helpful if you need more space or want easier icon selecting:

MacroBank ( http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/macro-bank )
This addon lets you save macros in a database. It's useful for if you have macro's you don't use all the time, but still want to save. You can create categories in the database to make sorting easier. If you want to use the macro again you can select it and then load it so appears in the macro window again.

AdvancedIconSelector ( http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/advancediconselector )
This addon adds a little search field at the bottom of the window where you have to select an icon for a macro. For instance, if you want a blue icon type "blue" and all icons that have blue in them will be shown.

LargerMacroIconSelector ( http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/larger-macro-icon-selection )
This addon enlarges the icon selection window, so you don't have to scroll so much anymore.
18/02/2014 15:09Posted by Taepsilum
That's a tricky one in my opinion, there's probably a lot of players that like the safety of being able to spam Ice Block or DS.
It's a great macro and it's very useful for those who don't spam their abilities, but it can cause players to remove their protections earlier than intended.
Having /cancelaura as a macro allows players the freedom to choose their favourite default behaviour, adding it to the ability by default would remove that choice. (/stopattack exists, /dontcancelaura doesn't)

The issue with this is that /stopcasting for CS is not always preferred to actually stop the cast.
For example if there is a short amount of time left on the cast, and you would set CS to always stop the cast, it might still not fall off, even though you would intend it to.

Yes, I mean, it wouldn't be harmful to increase it ofc, but unfortunately we're not looking into adding more macro slots at this moment, primarily due to technical restrictions.

We already have the capability of simply creating more in our folders ourselves, care to explain which technical restriction it is, exactly?

18/02/2014 11:16Posted by Thornaxx

not sure if serious
18/02/2014 11:03Posted by Hakarin
/cancelaura for stuff like Ice Block

[/quote]

Maybe you can let Ice Block make a "leave vehicle button" appear (that red arrow thing) that you can then click to leave ice block.
As a healer I have every single spell I cast on friendly players as a mouseover macro, partially hotkeyed for focus target healing. This alone takes up pretty much every character specific macro slot.

I would prefer if mouse-over healing was the default setting for helpful spells, but not for harmful ones.
18/02/2014 15:18Posted by Aerthuro
We already have the capability of simply creating more in our folders ourselves, care to explain which technical restriction it is, exactly?

(quoting myself because reasons)
Just double-checked this because I didn't want to look retarded. Was able to fill up my macro list beyond the regular amount (character-specific). Deleting them ingame did make the other ones show up that weren't available to be shown beforehand.
Why is the scroll bar not functioning for this at all? Seems awfully sloppy, to be honest
18/02/2014 15:23Posted by Goodbye

...Yes, I mean, it wouldn't be harmful to increase it ofc, but unfortunately we're not looking into adding more macro slots at this moment, primarily due to technical restrictions.

not sure if serious

They're probably not planning to, due to the technical restrictions requiring the sacrifice of more important parts of the game to overcome. I mean...technical restrictions almost never mean "absolutely impossible" anymore. Just means "expensive" (not just about money).
you have character specific macros + account wide macros

how can you have too many?