Make more slots for macros

General
18/02/2014 10:49Posted by Taepsilum
Hey Akronik,

We will first take a look at how we can reduce the amount of macros that seem mandatory.
One of the ways we can accomplish this is by improving how certain abilities work.
For example, one of the most common macros that players tend to use is the simple /stopcasting command added to a normal interrupt ability, like Counterspell.
What we can do here is to make sure that Counterspell starts to behave like this by default.
After we’re done with all the trimming and pruning, we expect that macros will become a bit more efficient and hopefully we’ll be able to reduce some of the clutter/redundancy that currently exists.

Got another one - my warrior's macro list is especially bloated because I tend to use plenty of timed abilities with different combinations on a single click (sometimes combined with on use-items), and several of my skills on the GCD have macros that combine them with an item off the GCD for more efficiency. While 18 macros may be enough for 2 specs, but if you don't want to rewrite them from scratch every time you swap your off-spec for another one, 24 or 30 are more like it.
18/02/2014 15:59Posted by Ragequít
you have character specific macros + account wide macros

how can you have too many?

I'll go ahead and list it, for example for a Warrior.

Defensive Stance + 1h + OH macro (basic defensive)
Defensive Stance + Shield wall + 1h + OH macro (full defensive)
Shield Wall + Rallying Cry (Massive oshi- button)
Focus Charge macro + cancelaura bladestorm
Banner + intervene banner
Intervene focus / specific target macro
Ava/Bloodbath/Trinket/Orc racial + Bladestorm
Cancelaura BS + Spell Reflect
Cancelaura BS + Mass Spell Reflect
Cancelaura BS + Hamstring
Charge + cancelaura Bladestorm
Cancelaura Bladestorm + Heroic Leap
Cancelaura Bladestorm + Pummel
Cancelaura Bladestorm + Focus pummel

And that's just things out of the top of my head. Not even including specific target macros for intervenes if you do 3s for both of your teammates, or charge macros for all 3 of the enemy team members.
Especially if you multi-class, the char-specific ones are just not enough.
We will first take a look at how we can reduce the amount of macros that seem mandatory.

I can't ever understand this kind of reasoning. Increasing macro slots would be incredibly easy, just changing a number in the code. You could easily do that on the next patch *WHILE* you try to figure out how to reduce the amount of mandatory macros.

But how about people who want to make lots of different macros? They would still want more slots. If there's no downside to it, use the easy solution first.
I could definitely do with additional room for Macros.

I currently have all class and account based Macro areas completely full for several characters (The ones I play a lot) and have for a while.

The majority of these are convenience due to needing easy access to so many abilities and are Shift and Ctrl modifiers. Even more so when you also have multiple specs worth to keep around because different specs have entirely new abilities or use them at different times.

That's not taking into account the ones that give more control over abilities and targeting (Mouseovers, Cancelauras, Targeting specific things like Banners on a Warrior or Totems in PvP.) or ones that combine all "On use" effects such as Trinkets + Tinker + Ability Cooldowns - With a lot of these having different Cooldowns it's not always viable to put them into one macro either especially with some cooldowns which are situational (Such as Warriors Bladestorm and Dragon Roar)
Main reason I would love more space is not because there is too many abilities, it is because sometiems you just want to use the same ability in different ways, and make sure you do so with different binds instead of cast separators that you might mess up in a crucial moment.

In essence, it's the 'focus"-command's fault :P
What about more than 255 characters ?
18/02/2014 11:03Posted by Hakarin
For example, one of the most common macros that players tend to use is the simple /stopcasting command added to a normal interrupt ability, like Counterspell.

Got another one for you there. /cancelaura for stuff like Ice Block, Invisibility, Divine Shield etc. could be worked in as a 2nd activation command for such spells, much like Alter Time already works. Should be doable. But I guess many many more macros simply come from stuff like "I want a certain use effect or CD triggered with that and that and that attack".

Now, if you think about it, why not have a system where you can basically combine a number of spells into a single new one, like forging your own spells. Sure extra work but I believe it would be a bit cooler and certainly more immersive than coding or copy-pasting macros.

Bad idea, what happens when you have to spam the button? The defensive cooldown gets CD without getting you the effect.
18/02/2014 15:09Posted by Taepsilum
18/02/2014 10:58Posted by Ellgar
i can't speak for every melee, but /startattack is the most common for me.
Definitely a very common one. We'll try to look into all these sort of situations where there is potential for improvement.

I'd just like to state that we will be very cautious about any changes that we decide to apply, changing the default behaviour of any ability is not to be taken lightly.
Players will get used to certain mechanics after almost 10 years. There are some foundations, some core mechanics that we all take for granted in WoW, and we need to be extremely careful about those, we don't want to make anyone feel like they suddenly don't master their class anymore, or create a very long period of adaptation. For any changes to happen, they need to feel just right, and what feels right is usually absorbed by players pretty fast.
So, in those cases where we can see that nearly everyone is using a macro to change the default behaviour of an ability, well, that's a great indicator of what probably feels right.

18/02/2014 11:03Posted by Hakarin
/cancelaura for stuff like Ice Block
That's a tricky one in my opinion, there's probably a lot of players that like the safety of being able to spam Ice Block or DS.
It's a great macro and it's very useful for those who don't spam their abilities, but it can cause players to remove their protections earlier than intended.
Having /cancelaura as a macro allows players the freedom to choose their favourite default behaviour, adding it to the ability by default would remove that choice. (/stopattack exists, /dontcancelaura doesn't)

18/02/2014 11:16Posted by Thornaxx
Wouldn't it be an idea to add more macro space meanwhile? I'm sure that a lot of PvPers would like to see this - atleast I definitely would.
Yes, I mean, it wouldn't be harmful to increase it ofc, but unfortunately we're not looking into adding more macro slots at this moment, primarily due to technical restrictions.

Not sure if serious or just trolling, technical reasons? In this case?
macrotoolkit is a fantastic addon i use a lot...you can extend the macro - ie get space for 1024 characters....and theres loads more slots than the standard macro app.

worth a look, and obviously bypasses whatever "technical" restrictions blizzard are having trouble with.
18/02/2014 23:00Posted by Tabori
macrotoolkit is a fantastic addon i use a lot...you can extend the macro - ie get space for 1024 characters....and theres loads more slots than the standard macro app.

worth a look, and obviously bypasses whatever "technical" restrictions blizzard are having trouble with.

That's awesome but my point is, I don't want addons to fix other people problems. It's their game, hence I should bother myself finding out addons for stuff they are paid for.
19/02/2014 07:36Posted by Akronik
18/02/2014 23:00Posted by Tabori

That's awesome but my point is, I don't want addons to fix other people problems. It's their game, hence I should bother myself finding out addons for stuff they are paid for.

On a side note, common practise in this industry is buying/hiring small teams that are better than you in some part of your business. If Blizzard actually cared they would hire people that make WoW playable years ago.
God I hate that you are so absurdly cheap while making a pile of cash.

Even if you were to down the number of 'mandatory' slots its not about that. It´s about giving me the freedom to play the game however I like.
Pardon my necro, but... Great news everyone!
We have some updated information about what's happening to macros in 6.0 that I think you might enjoy:

• Increased number of general macro slots (100 slots, up from 36).
  • New conditional has been added. Example:
    /cast [talent:3/1] Ring of Frost; [talent:3/2] Ice Ward; [talent:3/3] Frostjaw
  • That new conditional is amazing :) Thanks a lot for the info, this makes me a happy bunny!
    On all of my spells I use the

/targetenemy [noexists][dead][help]
    /startattack
    /cast ......

So what I would definitely find out helpful will be that when I use a spell, it automatically gets a target as if I hit the tab button, but will target mobs only if I don't already have a target that is attackable and not dead. Then will start auto-attack
    20/06/2014 11:32Posted by Taepsilum
    Pardon my necro, but... [url="http://youtu.be/9PStC-LNZ2s?t=15s"]Great news everyone![/url]
    We have some updated information about what's happening to macros in 6.0 that I think you might enjoy:

• [url="https://twitter.com/holinka/status/476507799602475008"]Increased number of general macro slots (100 slots, up from 36).[/url]
  • [url="https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/476469473935765505"]New conditional has been added. Example:[/url]

• Now make them revert the latest alpha changes to warrior and stance requirements. I don't want to go back to macroing every single ability into a stance.
    20/06/2014 12:14Posted by Nakloh
    Now make them revert the latest alpha changes to warrior and stance requirements. I don't want to go back to macroing every single ability into a stance.

QFT. I don't play Warrior much but from those changes you're essentially just having to macro Spell Reflection and Defensive, and then Battle + Damage abilities.

E:
    Extremely happy about the extra macro space though. I tend to fill them up very fast with mouse-over, Focus and general macros.
    20/06/2014 11:32Posted by Taepsilum
    Pardon my necro, but... [url="http://youtu.be/9PStC-LNZ2s?t=15s"]Great news everyone![/url]

• [url="https://twitter.com/holinka/status/476507799602475008"]Increased number of general macro slots (100 slots, up from 36).[/url]
  • [url="https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/476469473935765505"]New conditional has been added. Example:[/url]

• Maybe I missed something, but I thought it would be implemented something like this:
    /cast talent3

Then you would just cast the spell that comes with the chosen talent in that tier. Wouldn't that be a lot shorter? Macro length is very restricted already...

But hooray for the extra space too! (Okay, even though I'd rather have more character specific slots...)
    18/02/2014 21:17Posted by Suya
    What about more than 255 characters ?

I do believe that there are add ons which has a way around that
    This way is more powerful and basically allows you to cast OTHER spells based on a talent choice.

Source: https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/476555521651003393