You can purchase Card Packs, Mercenaries Packs, Adventures and alternate Heroes in the in-game Hearthstone® Shop. Whether you shop on a computer or on a mobile device, your Hearthstone purchases and progress are shared across any device where you log in using your Battle.net account.
Opening a Card Pack in Hearthstone adds 5 cards to your collection. There are rules in place to make sure your pack opening experience is exciting.
Note: These rules do not apply to Mini Sets. Mini Sets are bundles of specific cards. Mini Sets are not card packs and are not subject to randomness. If a Mini Set includes cards you already own, you will still receive those cards.
Rarity of Cards and Card Drop Rates
Cards can be of three different rarities: Rare, Epic, and Legendary.
- Rare Cards: Each card pack contains at least one rare card or better.
- Epic Cards: One epic card can be obtained in five card packs on average.
- Legendary Cards: One Legendary card is guaranteed within the first 10 packs of a new card expansion. Subsequent Legendary cards can be obtained in 20 card packs on average.
You will not receive more than one copy of a Legendary card, until you have owned all the Legendary cards in that card expansion. Similarly, you will not receive more than two copies of any Common, Rare, or Epic card until you have owned two copies of all cards of that rarity in that card expansion.
Crafting a card counts towards owning it, and any cards you disenchant (whether golden or non-golden) count as well. This means that if you get a card that you don’t want, you can disenchant it and you will not receive it again until you have all cards of that rarity from that card expansion.
Opening a Mercenaries Pack in Hearthstone adds 5 items from the following 3 types to your Mercenaries collection:
- Mercenary Card. A Mercenary Card allows you to play a Mercenary in the Mercenaries Mode with its default portrait.
- Mercenary Portrait. A Mercenary Portrait is a different look for a Mercenary which you can select when playing that Mercenary.
- Mercenary Coins. Mercenary Coins allow you to craft a Mercenary if you do not own them and upgrade their abilities and equipment. Mercenary Coins are unique per Mercenary –for example, Jaina Coins can only be used with the Jaina Mercenary.
Mercenary Cards, Portraits, and Coins can be of three different rarities: Rare, Epic, and Legendary.
There are rules in place to make sure your Mercenaries Pack opening experience is exciting.
Rarity of Mercenaries and Mercenary Card Drop Rates
One of the five slots in a pack is reserved to grant you a Mercenary Card. The reserved slot first determines the rarity of the Mercenary Card you will be awarded adhering to the rarity guidelines below.
- Each Mercenaries Pack contains at least one Rare or better Mercenary Card, subject to the duplicate mechanics below.
- One Epic Mercenary Card can be obtained every 5 Mercenaries Packs on average.
- One Legendary Mercenary Card is guaranteed within the first 10 packs. Subsequent Legendary Mercenary Cards can be obtained in 20 Mercenaries Packs on average.
If you already own all the Mercenary Cards of the determined rarity, the reserved slot will choose a random Mercenary of the same rarity and grant a Mercenary Portrait you don’t yet own for that mercenary. If you already own all the Mercenary Portraits of the chosen Mercenary, the portrait is automatically converted into Coins of that Mercenary (the number of Coins depends on the rarity of the item. See the Mercenary Portraits Drop Rates section below for more information).
The items obtained from the other four slots in a pack can be a Mercenary Card, Coins, or Portraits, from which you may obtain Mercenary Portraits of Mercenaries that you own before owning all Mercenary Cards of the rarity.
Mercenary Coins Drop Rates
A pack can contain one or more drops of Mercenary Coins of any Mercenary, and each drop will be in between 35 and 45 coins.
- Rare Coins: Rare Coins can drop 12 times in 10 Mercenaries Packs on average
- Epic Coins: Epic Coins can drop 10 times in 10 Mercenaries Packs on average
- Legendary Coins: Legendary Coins can drop 8 times in 10 Mercenaries Packs on average
Mercenary Portraits Drop Rates
All Mercenaries have 3 Golden Mercenary Portraits. All Legendary Mercenaries also have a Diamond Mercenary Portrait.
Whenever you obtain a Mercenary Portrait from a pack or product that includes a random Portrait*, the Portrait you receive will be based on the following baseline percentages:
- For Legendary Mercenaries: 30% chance to get each of the 3 Golden Portraits and 10% chance to get the Diamond Portrait
- For Rare and Epic Mercenaries: 33.3% chance to get each of the 3 Golden Portraits
When you obtain a Mercenary Portrait, the drop rate for the remaining Mercenary Portraits is dynamically recalculated, with new proportions based on your individual collection of Portraits for that Mercenary.
You will not obtain the same Mercenary Portrait until you own all the Mercenary Portraits for that Mercenary. Once you own all the Portraits for a Mercenary, you can obtain a second copy of a Mercenary Portrait, which will automatically be converted into Coins of that Mercenary: 50 coins for Rare, 75 coins for Epic, and 100 coins for Legendary Mercenaries.
Occasionally, you may obtain a Mercenary Portrait prior to obtaining its Mercenary Card. When that happens, you will be able to play that Mercenary with the Mercenary Portrait, and you could get the Mercenary Card from packs.
*When obtaining a Mercenary Portrait from a product that includes a random Portrait, the Mercenary is randomly determined first from owned Mercenaries and favoured based on the number of unowned Portraits for each owned Mercenary, so you're more likely to get a portrait of a Mercenary in which you own fewer portraits already. For a simplified example, if you are missing 3 Portraits for Jaraxxus and own all Portraits but 1 for Jaina, you have a 3:1 chance of getting a Portrait for Jaraxxus over Jaina. The Portrait for the selected Mercenary is determined by the percentages listed above.
In-game purchases on your desktop or laptop can be paid with any of the payment methods accepted in the Battle.net Shop. The Available Payment Methods depend on the country registered on your Battle.net account. If you have Battle.net Balance on your account, Hearthstone will suggest this payment method by default.
Payment Options on Mobile Devices
In-game purchases on mobile devices use the method of payment you have on file in the Apple App Store, Google Play, or Amazon Appstore account registered on your device, regardless of which Battle.net account is logged in to the game. For more information see Apple’s, Google’s, Amazon’s support articles.
Battle.net Balance cannot be used to make Hearthstone purchases on mobile.
Controlling In-game Purchases
To prevent in-game purchases on the desktop or laptop client, you can enable Battle.net Parental Controls.
To prevent in-game purchases on mobile devices, you must set up restrictions on your device’s settings.
If you experience errors when trying to buy in-game on desktop or laptop, try our Solutions to Common Payment Issues or check the list of common payment errors below.
If your game appears locked, you may have an open chargeback. Visit our Chargeback Repayment Options article to learn more.
Payment Problems on Mobile Devices
If you have trouble making a Hearthstone purchase on your mobile device, completely log out of the Hearthstone app. On iOS devices, also log out from your Apple ID. Then log back in and try again.