The Public Test Realm/Region (PTR) is a special service you can use to test patches before we release them to the public. When we start a PTR test for a new patch, we’ll announce it on the applicable game’s website.
Note: World of Warcraft PTR realms are only available to players who have a World of Warcraft account with active game time.
Make a selection from the dropdown above.
Create a PTR Account
Before you can log in to the PTR, you must create a PTR game account. If you have participated in a PTR test before, you already have a PTR account. Heroes of the Storm will automatically create a PTR account when you log in to the game, so you can skip this step.
Diablo III and StarCraft II
World of Warcraft
Note: Copied characters do not share progress with their originals on live servers.
Install the PTR Game Client
To play on a Public Test Realm, you’ll need to install the PTR game client for the game you want to test.
- In the Battle.net desktop application, click the game you want to test.
- Switch to PTR in the game account/game region selector, as shown to the right.
- Click Install.
World of Warcraft
You need to use the in-game character copy feature to copy a character from your main World of Warcraft account to the PTR. To do so:
- Log in to the World of Warcraft PTR.
- Click Copy Character on the character select screen.
- Click Copy Account Data to transfer your live account settings to the PTR.
- Select a character and click Copy.
Note: Character Copy will be disabled before the Public Test Realm goes offline.
To copy heroes from your main Diablo III account:
- Log in to Diablo III with your main account.
- Click PTR Copy in the upper-right corner.
The Heroes of the Storm PTR allows you to purchase and play with new items from the in-game shop. These items will carry over to your live game account when the PTR concludes.
When you purchase an item on the PTR, you'll be prompted to type the name of your region. To change your default region for PTR purchases:
- Go to the Options menu.
- Click Language and Region.
- Select your region from the PTR Purchase Region dropdown.
For more information on regions, check our Global Play article.Note: Double-check to make sure you're purchasing your item for the correct region to make sure it carries over to your live game account.
- You must have a World of Warcraft account with active game time to participate on the PTR realms
- If you are having issues during the installation process, review our Blizzard Downloader Troubleshooting steps.
- If you receive the "Unable to initialize storage" error, you do not have enough hard drive space, or you do not have permission to write to the proper hard drive. Move the PTR installer file to your World of Warcraft directory, then try to run it again.
- If you get a version error during installation, connect to a live realm to make sure you have the latest version of World of Warcraft. If the error persists, move the installer to your World of Warcraft directory and run it from there.