Recruit A Friend allows you to invite friends to play World of Warcraft and receive exclusive in-game benefits when you play together. To see specifics on the rewards you can earn for recruiting friends, read our official overview page.
For detailed instructions on using this exciting feature, select a section below.
Please make a selection from the dropdown menu above.
How to Recruit a Friend
To recruit a friend, they must not already have a World of Warcraft account or their account must be fewer than 30 days old. Starter Edition accounts are eligible for this service. Players who created an account more than 30 days ago and are returning to the game are not eligible unless they create a new account.
- Log in to World of Warcraft on the character you want to play with your friend. Your recruit will be directed to join that character’s faction and realm.
- Open your Friends List and click the Recruit A Friend icon in the upper-right corner.
- The icon may not appear for up to 72 hours if your game account was recently upgraded from the Starter Edition.
- Enter your friend's email address to send the email invitation, which will be valid for seven days from the time it is sent.
Note: If you live in Australia and you're trying to recruit a friend, you'll get the email invitation in your own mailbox. You'll need to forward it to your friend.
As soon as your friend accepts your email invitation, their game account will be linked to yours, which qualifies characters on both accounts for Recruit A Friend benefits. If your friend does not receive the email, have them check their spam or junk folder, and their email filters.
Note: The link period can only last until 90 days after your friend's account was first created. For example, if your friend created their Starter Edition account 15 days before you invited them using the Recruit A Friend feature, the account link will last for 75 days.
In addition to fantastic in-game benefits, you'll also receive rewards when your friend buys game time.
Veteran rewards are subject to a waiting period of seven days after the recruit is billed for game time.
|Recruit buys...||Veteran player receives...|
|One month of game time||One month of free game time|
|A second month of game time||One of nine epic mounts or pets (their choice)|
Note: Credit card and PayPal subscriptions do not bill until after the account has used up all available game time (including free time from the promotion). This can take a month or two to complete the necessary billing, after which you will receive your exclusive veteran rewards.
To claim an earned reward, follow these steps:
- Log in to World of Warcraft. If you’re eligible to claim a mount or pet, you’ll see a notification that you’ve earned a Recruit A Friend reward.
- Open your Friends List and click the Recruit A Friend button in the upper-right corner.
- Choose one mount or pet and click Claim Reward to have the pet or mount item delivered to your bags. If your bags are full, the item will be sent to your in-game mailbox.
In-game benefits are only available while both accounts remain linked. After the 90-day link period passes, both players will stop receiving these benefits and any ungranted levels will be lost. All Recruit A Friend benefits cease at level 90.
Linked players can summon each other once every 30 minutes if their characters are on the same realm and faction. To summon your friend to you, right-click their character portrait and select Summon Friend.
Note: Death Knight, Goblin, Worgen, and Pandaren characters cannot be summoned until they complete their starting experiences.
Experience and Reputation Boost
Linked players gain triple experience from kills and quests, and 10% bonus reputation from kills that grant reputation. To receive bonus experience and reputation, you must meet the following criteria:
- Both characters must be in the same party and within 100 yards of each other.
- Characters must be within 4 levels of each other and below level 90.
- Monsters and quests cannot be gray difficulty (trivial) for either character.
For every two levels your recruit gains while the accounts are linked, they can grant one level to one of your characters. Your friend must log in to the character with grantable levels, right-click on your character's portrait, and select Grant A Level. The Grant A Level menu item will only appear when:
- The characters are in a party on the same realm and faction.
- The characters are within 100 yards of each other.
- The character granting the level is higher level than the character receiving the level.
- The character receiving the level is level 89 or lower.
- The character receiving the level has not disabled experience gain.
- Only levels earned through normal gameplay count for grantable levels. Levels earned through Character Boost do not apply.
Note: Unclaimed levels are not moved during a character copy or transfer. Be sure to use them before you transfer.
I haven't received my mount, pet, or game time.
You are only eligible for the one month of game time and the exclusive mounts and pets when your friend has successfully been billed for their game time. If they have a subscription, this can take a few months for their promotional time to run out and for them to pay for two additional months.
My in-game benefits aren't working.
Make sure your characters are both eligible for the in-game benefit you're trying to use. Details for eligibility can be found in the In-Game Benefits section of this article.
If both characters are eligible for benefits and aren't receiving them, your accounts may not be properly linked.
My friend's account is not linked to mine.
If you are not sure if your accounts are successfully linked, you and your friend should both log out of World of Warcraft and log back in. Then try to summon your friend again.
This can also occur if your friend activated a World of Warcraft account in the past and is returning to the game. If this is the case, they must create a brand-new account to join you in Recruit A Friend.
If this is a brand-new account and they aren't linking properly, contact us.